Z-order problem with alpha terrain

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Z-order problem with alpha terrain

ringwraith(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

I'm having a problem with a terrain editor I've been messing around with. I'm trying to use vertex alpha blending to make a smooth transition from one texture to another by having a different surface for each texture and fading them in and out.

To do this I have to enable EntityFX 32 for all the terrain meshes (my terrain is made up of many different meshes tiled together) which causes z-order problems.

I've heard of people using a bottom surface that's just all white or some solid color to fix this problem but I've tried that and it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#2]
make the base layer +2 not 32+2

Ie:
---ALPHA+color
---ALPHA+color
---ALPHA+color
---ALPHA+color
---Color only

Also, the order you create the surfaces matters as well (assuming you are using a multi surf mesh)

ringwraith(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks for the reply, but I can't seem to find a way to apply different effects to different surfaces. Should I use BrushFX? Because when I do EntityFX 32+2 it just applies to the whole mesh.

Thanks ahead of time.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yes, use BrushFx and paintsurface.

ringwraith(Posted 2007) [#5]
Thanks for the advice it works nicely. Just out of curiosity, though, is there a more efficient way of fixing this problem without adding a whole extra surface? It seems kind off unoptimized to use a whole extra surface just for this purpose.

D4NM4N(Posted 2007) [#6]
Not on the base layer as it always needs to be solid, but for the others, when creating the end result, you can copy the mesh vertex data to a new createmesh() mesh, with the exception of any triangles where all 3 verts are <0.01 alpha (as theres no point in them being there).

ringwraith(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thanks for all the help.