protecting my projects CD/DVDs:)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/protecting my projects CD/DVDs:)

ThomasD(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello all!
How can I protect my projects after I have stored them on a CD or DVD? Is it possible to disable the copy option from the CD or DVD so when the CD or DVD starts from another pc there will be a pop up dialog saying access denied or something when you try to drag or copy the files in anyway way from the CD or DVD to your Hard Disk or to another CD or DVD? That is to say the data files can only be run from the original source. Some hints and tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards

ThomasD

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#2]
In short...no.

There are ways to stop cd's being copied, but they have all pretty much been circumvented.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#3]
Store everything in a password protected zip?

ThomasD(Posted 2007) [#4]
Big10p: To store in a .zip file with password is file access protection, not copy protection:) You have any other ideas of copy protection?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#5]
Oh, I thought you just wanted file protection. If someone copies the CD/DVD, they still wont be able to get at the files...

ThomasD(Posted 2007) [#6]
big10p: I want the user to run the files from the source but not being able to copy them from my CD or DVD.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#7]
Not possible. Besides, someone could just make a copy of your CD/DVD. All discs can be copied, that's why there's so many dodgy copies of films/games knocking around at your local market, car boot sale, etc.

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#8]
You could write the cd backwards and using funky sectors. Then read the disc at the bit level and come up with some way of re-assembling the data in memory. What is it you have that must be protected? Usually the theory is that, if you can see or hear it, it can be ripped and stolen. All you can do is make it harder for the average person to steal the content.

Pongo(Posted 2007) [#9]
Another vote for nope here.

If the big studios can't protect their stuff from being copied, there is not much you can do to prevent this.

One of my favorites is to embed the user name in the file, so that when the progrm is run it says "This product is registered to ______" This doesn't prevent copying, but it makes someone think twice about spreading their own name around. Also, you know who did it, which is an added bonus.

Rroff(Posted 2007) [#10]
The only way to prevent the user being able to copy the files is to silently install a rootkit from autorun - assuming the user has autorun enabled... and this is a BIG NO NO remember you are a GUEST on the end users PC and respect them at all times (nothing personal I have a pet hatred of programs that do things to MY system without my permission even if its just to put something into the startup or add a process)

At the end of the day all you will ever be able to do is prevent casual copying - and at a great expense in time and effort for you and at the expense of convenience to the end user... even the best commercial copy protection has been cracked in 4 days from release...

Subirenihil(Posted 2007) [#11]
There is no such thing as copy protection, as you want it. There used to be, but copy programs are smarter now. If the data is accessible, then it is copyable. Modern "copy protection" prevents illegal copies of disks from functioning properly, not from being copied in the first place.

One of the best copy protection systems so far has been to label certain sectors as "bad sectors" when they really store your secret data. The system will ignore the "bad" sectors when doing normal stuff. You then have to use direct disk access that bypasses windows' directories and looks at the data in specific sectors. You simply read the data from the "bad" sectors to determine if the disk has been copied. If there is nothing in that sector then the disk is a fake. Unfortunately, hackers have gotten around that issue by writing copying programs that copy the data from the entire disk, including the data in "bad" sectors. Then, the protection method changed so that there was an intentionally corrupted file. If a program attempted to read it, it was told that the file was corrupted. The program would attempt to read the file, if the file was readable, then the disk was a fake because copy programs automatically fix broken sectors. The hackers beat that method and all methods so far devised by making a disk duplicator, a device that duplicates every detail of the disk, even scratches, bad sectors, serial number, etc.

All you can do is encrypt your data so that only your program knows how to read it, leaving it a meaningless jumble for anyone else.

ThomasD(Posted 2008) [#12]
Me again:) Thanks for all the uselful hints from all of you. However some games i have purchased (for example Dungeon Siege II) after being installed from a DVD require of me that i have to insert disk 1 in order for me to play it . Isnt that a good copy protection? Maybe hackers have gotten around this problem aswell with the disk duplicator? Any thoughts around this?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#13]
No, it takes a day to have no-cd images on the net for them :D

Kev(Posted 2008) [#14]
protecting cd/dvd's is realy not a good idea, ive heard lots of people against that kind of protection. although a quick google should give you some protectors that offer that kind of support.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#15]
There is only 1 protection that would work. But they have shown how less they care for the idea behind it ie protect intellectual property, by offering torrents on their board to non protected games.
beside the fact that they kill CD / DVD drives with their hack drivers.

And yes, I'm talking of StarForce
You would need to be plain stupid to use it.

On the kind of games you will release with Blitz, you don't need them ... 20$ games never have copy protection. you already need to be happy if it sells ...

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#16]
Dungeon Siege 2 was protected with SmartECD, from SmartE Solutions, who I believe bought out Vincera and now trade mostly under that name.

http://www.vincera.com/

Considering they partner with Microsoft and Sony, among others, I wouldn't expect an indie-friendly price.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#17]
Personally, and i know this opinion is shared by many people, i hate having to go find a disc everything i want to play a game on my computer. Most games nowadays install 3 or 4 GB worth of stuff on your hard disc, then still ask for the disc :D Cheeky!