Holograms with Blitz3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Holograms with Blitz3D

Nebula(Posted 2007) [#1]
I was working on a project. Holograms.

I am researching ways to control sound and smoke and light and color in my room using blitz basic. I have got hundreds of notes. But I do not have any code get working holograms out of the computer. The problem is that I have tought myself to make the holograms with lighters, candles and webcams and mirrors. I have no idea how to stop blowing
holograms yet. Images keep showing up infront of me. I think it has got to do with my movement angle and movement.

One of the problems also was placing the holograms in the room and not on my eye. Gaining distance. As I figured out. Colored dust (Dreamdust) falls on the eyes and forms images and animations. With sound I also have this problems. But these problems are even more complex. I can not figure out how to train or train out the vibrations that form sound.

I still use the webcam to record the screen. This does put the distance in the holographics sightings.

Does anyone have more ideas on how to better control holographical animations and sounds?

I did invest in : oxygen cleaners and liquid cleaning equipment. Did did help. As for controlling the colored dust sound is one of the only clues that I have got. Scanning the room with a webcam and a scanner and sound recorder is still one of the only ideas on how to view changes in the holograms.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
Are you high? I have no idea what you're talking about...

:P

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#3]
Definitely sounds like a narcotic related post to me. Certainly bugger all to do with Holograms anyway.

hol·o·gram noun Optics.
A negative produced by exposing a high-resolution photographic plate, without camera or lens, near a subject illuminated by monochromatic, coherent radiation, as from a laser: when it is placed in a beam of coherent light a true three-dimensional image of the subject is formed.

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#4]
Peace out man

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#5]
what hell are you smoking? can I have some? What's this Dreamdust your refer to?

Nebula(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks Rob.

Others and about narcotics :

I was making animations with smoke. Turns out I can also visualise problems and solutions with smoke. Math / Collision / Simulations / translations. Neurologic? Dust on the eyes?

As for narcotics : I do not know if people dream or that if I am one of the few people that dream? Dreamdust are the things that color my dreams I think. I use dreams for concept art and concept gameplay testing. With my lungues, lips and mouth I can also shape the particles? for a variaty of reasons. Data visualisation.

As for the actual human seeing? Colored liquid (Shaders?)

(I am not using lager or weed or any thing like that.
I am in lack of technical words to explain the phenomina)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#7]
Easy on the bug powder dust. Cheque please!

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#8]
And the mugwump jism.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#9]
: )

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#10]
I am in lack of technical words to explain the phenomina)

The phrase "mad as a mongoose" springs to mind. It's not terribly technical either though.

Yeshu777(Posted 2007) [#11]
It is mushroom season after all.

http://www.lolcat.com/batcountrycat.html

JustLuke(Posted 2007) [#12]
Best. Thread. Ever. Nebula, tell us more.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#13]
Hmmm..... hang on, I think I know what you're talking about.

So you have:
A high intensity digital projector, connected to a PC
Smoke generator machine
Some sort of air pump connected to the PC (USB vacuum cleaner in reverse?) controlled via a data stream from a Blitz application.

You could project an animation onto the smoke, then use the USB air pump thingy to morph the animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mglPvCJRAcQ&mode=related&search=

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#14]
Is it PC to say "Cornish!".

I like Smoke on the Water.

Of course it's about Frank Zappa so it gets my vote!

Hamster.
Hatstand.
Suasages.
Flibber flibber

Biscuits anyone?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2007) [#15]
I created a Hologram using an aardvark last week. No idea how to do it on a computer though, sorry.

Doggie(Posted 2007) [#16]
I've been waiting for holographic projection televisions for quite some time now so I can personally sack Tom Brady.
"That Dog defense came right through the offensive line like they weren't even there."

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#17]
haha, hey guys leave Rudy alone... hes cool... so what if he ate a bunch of 'shrooms and tried to make a projector, you cant tell me everyone hasnt tried that before... Actually knowing him this may actually turn out to be very cool, despite the fact that he was high when he asked about it :)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#18]
I unreservedly apologize for my earlier jocular comment. Now that I have been made away of recent events in The Netherlands, I can see how the stress could have caused such a post.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7041961.stm

Filax(Posted 2007) [#19]
andy_mc : Lol :) me too :)

zyd(Posted 2009) [#20]
@Gabriel: same old scare story...see bill hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA

@Neblua: years ago I used to make liquid slides with ink and fairy liquid...then I pointed the projector at my TV screen...then I plugged my video camera into my TV and pointed it at the TV screen. I made some great videos!!!.

Creative Inspiration should be praised!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Q8SQ33gKY&feature=related

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#21]
I was making animations with smoke. Turns out I can also visualise problems and solutions with smoke.

Smoke of what? Weed?

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#22]
Certainly bugger all to do with Holograms anyway.

Well, (VERY) strange thread origin notwithstanding, I have to admit I think it'd be cool if someone COULD make a Star Wars or Stargate Atlantis style hologram projection using Blitz Basic.

Hey, semi-related question here, as I know little about optics & lasers... Say you have two "invisible" laser beams, the kind where you don't see the actual beam, only the dot at the end when it hits something. If those two beams intersected (and they were both the same color, let's say red) would the intersection become visible??

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#23]
I think that's how holograms are supposed to work. Not entirely sure though...

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#24]
Yeah, well I was thinking. If two intersecting Laser beams create a visible "dot" in midair, then you could theoretically make an RGB holographic projector by using six laser modules (two of each color) reflected off of movable micro-mirrors, in the same way that an LCD projector works. Each intersection would be a single pixel, and arranged in a matrix, say 320x320x320, you could theoretically construct 3D holographic images floating in midair, without the need of smoke or any kind of floating particle, by constantly adjusting the position of the mirrors & thereby the location of the intersections.

The only problem here is the health risk, as laser light is harmful to the human eye. Ah well, it still makes an awesome fantasy. ^_^

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#25]
Heh, it certainly would ;)

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#26]
How about this type of hologram, on Garry'sMod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdFsJBWVGP8&feature=related

GfK(Posted 2009) [#27]
This thread is over a year old.

If you think this is weird, you should see some of Nebula's more recent musings. He hasn't posted for ages now, so either BRL banned him for churning out nonsense, or the mothership came back for him.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#28]
WOW, I totally missed that! Geez, a thread gets revived after a whole year... That's just weird. I'm kinda glad it did, though, it allowed for some fun speculation. ^_^

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#29]
AWEE GAHGADRAWRZoRz... I hate it when that happens...

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#30]
it would be nice if after a while a thread auto locks since its last post
the ammount of times ive started reading something and its only 5-10 posts later that i get this feeling of dejavu
for instance, a games publishing thread once plasma fps was meantioned i did a date check
with this one i just saw nebula and thought he ho bes back or thread necromancy
so as soon as i clicked the thread i looked at the date

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#31]
I disagree with you Ginger, I missed this thread the first time around and it is an interesting concept. GIA_Green_Fire 's link makes for interesting viewing, Princess Leah in your living room, wow.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#32]
yeah but some times the bump post would just be
lol

like someone getting the punchline to a one year old joke
edit:
i was tempted to find a really old thread to lol bump just to prove a point ;)

or reporting a broken link posted by a user whos not been seen for a bloody age
even a link from 3 months ago is 404ing and the thread is active

Blitzplotter(Posted 2009) [#33]
or reporting a broken link posted by a user whos not been seen for a bloody age
even a link from 3 months ago is 404ing and the thread is active

yeah but I think it'd be mainly noobs to forums that might be guilty of this crime... or muppets.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#34]
well going from his post history this threads guilty party has been away for a year

yeah but I think it'd be mainly noobs to forums that might be guilty of this crime... or muppets.

or chiefy brown

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#35]
After listening to all of this I just have one thing to say.....IMAGONNAGETMESOMELAZERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#36]
that would have been funnier if you waited another year to say it ;)

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#37]
IMAFIRINHIZLAZERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knight #51(Posted 2009) [#38]
Ok GIA_Green_Fire_, I'll go paint a big red target on Nebula's head.