Converting MP3s?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Converting MP3s?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

just wondering if it's possible in Blitz using an external lib to be able to read in an MP3 and re-encode it with a different bitrate?

It seems like it MIGHT be possible with the BASS lib but....

Any thoughts?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#2]
I'd use the LAME encoder as a commandline tool, called by ExecFile, run it hidden (I think there's a userlib to run an external program in a hidden mode)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#3]
BUT... I really wouldn't recommend re-encoding an MP3- no mater what you do with it you will lose quality!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#4]
@jfk - ta.

@cygnus, I'm well aware of that but I have a very good reason. The simple fact is an MP3 is a poor quality rip of the original regardless. Having said that runnikng some lower quality MP3s through my £10,000 Naim hi fi they still sound remarkably good!!!

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#5]
Hi,
yeah it is possible with bass (encoder plugin) (signature) or SOX. (also a command tool that you will find in BlitzBassStudio. SOX is opensource, you will find a compiled version and the source if you want to make your own dll. without mp3 (C++))

bye

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
Isn't that a license problem, with mp3 encoders?

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#7]
Having said that runnikng some lower quality MP3s through my £10,000 Naim hi fi they still sound remarkably good!!!
After that grotesque bit of willy waving, may I suggest that if you have spent £10,000 on a hifi and are playing ugly low quality MP3s on it then you should probably take it back and pick up a £50 Alba stereo.

That aside are you wanting to create an application to re-encode, or want to re-encode on the fly in a game or what? Or is this just to change the encoding for a game, therefore have not necessarily doing this with blitz.

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#8]
Yes, http://www.mp3-tech.org/ , thats why there is (for example) also a bassnomp3.dll version. So you can work with ogg or flac (plugin) without problems with the mp3 license (or not).

bye

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#9]
After that grotesque bit of willy waving, may I suggest that if you have spent £10,000 on a hifi and are playing ugly low quality MP3s on it then you should probably take it back and pick up a £50 Alba stereo.

That made my day! haha.

@Boiled- OK, I just wasn't sure if you knew.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#10]
My music collection is mainly LPs and CDs, I do have some MP3s (mostly stuff that is very rare / odd so unlikely to get LP / CD versions). Crap MP3 music is better than no music.

And whats wrong with willy waving?