Poly to poly collisions using B3D

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Poly to poly collisions using B3D

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#1]
I know Blitz3D only has radial collision on the main collision object. How hard would it be to come up with a routine to read each model vertice of your main object and do your own mesh collision? Or for that matter, a crude collision model that surrounds your main mesh and do poly to poly collision on that?

My terminology might be a bit off but anyone who knows something about collision should be able to comprehend what I'm talking about.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
You know about the MeshesIntersect command, right?

You could just detect sphere-to-sphere collision in the usual way, and when a collision occurs, do a poly-to-poly collision test between the two objects collision hulls (low poly proxy meshes used for collision detection).

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#3]
id recommend using a physics library for poly to poly collisions.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yep, either use a physics library (tok, ode, newton) or the coldet wrapper.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#5]
The funny thing is, I actually bought the easyTok and JV-ODE wrappers. Don't get me wrong they're both great, but I'm having fun doing it myself. :-)

My goal here was to do it totally within blitz. Like just keep an array of the vertices and do manual collision tests on them against polygons etc. If I get anywhere with this I'll let ya know.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#6]
Suggest you use a low poly convex hull for collisions ( I'm assuming a plane here? ) for speed and then apply SAT to it to perform your intersection tests.

Another simpler method would be to build a collision object which loosely represents your plane with spheres. You could then use built in collisions to get your contact points and apply collision responses / impulses accordingly. Every frame simply re-position the collision spheres relative to the CM orientation.

Stevie

Nebula(Posted 2007) [#7]
Rotate collision coordinates to 90 Degrees (clock 15). (Pong bat ball collision) Check distance < and >.

See : Clock dial collision.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#8]

Rotate collision coordinates to 90 Degrees (clock 15). (Pong bat ball collision) Check distance < and >.

See : Clock dial collision.

Eh - what you on about? This, your desciptionless graphics showcase entries and the thread about holograms are not becoming of a sane man ;)