Tips Please

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Tips Please

BLaBZ(Posted 2007) [#1]
I started writing a game about 6 months ago. Since then it has become cluttered and hard to read. There are so many maths it kills your head to understand what's happening.

I understand how all the code works and how to use everything available in blitz, but it's obvious I code like a beginner.

Could you tell me how you got to where you are?

My skills are intermediate, could you tell me what I could do to go pro?

Thanks
Ben

H&K(Posted 2007) [#2]
Do little tiny tiny bits at a time. And comment each tiny tiny Bit. Put Each of these Tiny Tiny Bits into their own Function, and call the Function something sencible (ie something descriptive of what it does)
Then Keep a record of each function and what it does.

To go Proffesional
1) Write and release somthing that makes money
or
2) Learn C# or C++ or Jarva or ... (Basicly anything else other than Basics cept maybe Visual Basic.Net)

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#3]
Separate your code into functions. Place relative functions in their own .bb files and include them into the main program. The main program if done correctly should only contain the includes and a Run_Game() function. Modularize your code and stick with a specific naming scheme for all variables, and give everything a prefix that sums up the include file the functions came from. Clean up after yourself. No lose code or cluttered comment blocks. Keep everything neat, and indent the code properly.

-Scott

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#4]
READ ME!

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#5]
The more programs you write, the better your code will get.

After you've written a few simple games, try revisiting the code from your first game, you'll probably pick up loads of optimisations you didn't think of at the time. Programming is a like a muscle, the more you work it, the better it gets, that sounds really cheesy but it's true.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#6]
Post some code we can comment on.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#7]
Nice link, FPS - I'd missed that one somehow.

funnyben123: There might be some tips on the Blitz3D Supertips page that'll help too.

Mortiis(Posted 2007) [#8]
@FPS:Great link, do you have any more like this one?

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#9]
@LineOf7s & Mortiis: Thnx. Thats the only one, however, there are some other references in there. Use the techniques and your coding will improve literally overnight.