Help Wanted. Testing Network Pong.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Help Wanted. Testing Network Pong.

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#1]
Interested parties can download the source here.

No setup instructions included. Please advise when you're available to assist. Thnx in advance.

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#2]
I am available to assist. Please advise when you're available and ready for me to assist. Thx in advance. :)

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#3]
@Pepsi: I totally appreciate you. The primary Blitz files are HPv1.2.bb (Lib), HP_Game.bb (Server), and HP_Player.bb (Client).

To test the Server/Client locally: Run the HP_Game Server, followed by the HP_Player Client within the Blitz3D IDE.

All gameobject movement is managed on the Server. The Client merely sends messages to the server to move the player and displays the objects based on the state and orientation info received by the server.

I'm using a custom UDP Network Lib loosely based on Blitz DirectPlay.

I will be available to test 10/03/07 20:00 GMT or later.

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#4]
Cool. If my time zones are right, CST is -6 from GMT so I'll start looking at 14:00 CST (2:00pm) my time.

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#5]
Ok... I have a server going... this almost feels like racketball cool...

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#6]
I saw that somebody else ran a server "HYPER_PONG_255"... Anybody try to join my server, "HYPER_PONG_256" ?

Without looking at the code... it feels like your using TCP/IP stuff as it feels like when somebody is trying to connect, I get a pause for a second. But, that could be just a random thing.

Are you using UDP?
Does the client and server apps print out when people join to help in visual aid to see if this is working?

I'll keep checking this post to see if you are really ready.

Edit: forgot to mention... when pressing c for chat... everything pauses and once you hit enter, you have to wait until the mouse movement buffer to catch up to gain control again. TCP?

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#7]
Todd,

May I just borrow this thread to say thank you for the excellent DX7 Rumble Library - today it saved me a lot of stress - you're a genius many many thanks!

Thread returned...

IPete2.

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#8]
Very glad to hear that! Let me know how things are going with the the rumble lib in it's thread. Thanks :)

FPS, Still keeping an eye out...

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#9]
I saw that somebody else ran a server "HYPER_PONG_255"... Anybody try to join my server, "HYPER_PONG_256" ?
I'm up and ready to work!

Without looking at the code... it feels like your using TCP/IP stuff as it feels like when somebody is trying to connect, I get a pause for a second. But, that could be just a random thing.
I'm using GNET to register servers, which is using TCP. The game networking code as all udp --> Nexus Blitz in the HPv1.2.bb Lib.

Does the client and server apps print out when people join to help in visual aid to see if this is working?
Blitz IDE Debug is all I'm using at the moment.

Edit: forgot to mention... when pressing c for chat... everything pauses and once you hit enter, you have to wait until the mouse movement buffer to catch up to gain control again. TCP?

The chat on the player side isn't quite ready, I just put that in there for testing. I will expand its features as soon as I can test the connecting.

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#10]
ok! I'm about to run it

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#11]
Perhaps we can set up Instant Messaging. I 'm using Windows Messenger: frankie_taylor@....

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#12]
Arg...by chance you have yahoo messenger?

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#13]
Not currently, I will download it

Pepsi(Posted 2007) [#14]
ok... i just have bad memories with windows messenger and hotmail accounts thats only good for spam. XD