Questions about blitz3d?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Questions about blitz3d?

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#1]
Just some quick questions about blitz3d.

1. Has there been any reason given by Mark why Anti Aliasing has never been fixed so it works on all cards?

2. How many joypads can blitz support?

3. Can blitz display widescreen modes?

4. has anyone ever tryed a 4 player fps using split screen and 4 game plads like golden eye on the N64. I would have thought that it would be the number of camera picks that would be the issue here?

5. Ive not made a racing game before does any one have an code for a skid marks style racing game i could take a look at?

Thanks Pete

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#2]
3. Yes, widescreen is just a different amount of pixels, either have a 4:3 pixel res and have it scaled, or use a 16:10 (widescreen) pixel res.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#3]
1. Not that I'm aware
2. I've had 2 working, however you can just read port[n] so I guess you can have any amount
3. Yep, whatever your graphics card supports, use http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=CountGFXModes to find out what's available
4. That's all down to how you code it... I can't imagine it would be a big deal though, you can write a fps without any camera picks... Although I've never played Golden Eye so I wouldn't know the exact reasons why you want to do camera picks anyway.
5. I've already given you the theory, stop trying to pull a puki.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#4]
1.It may have been mentioned once that at the time of the original blitz3d being written not all directx7 cards supported antialiasing but I can't really remember..
2.I've had 4 connected to my PC for a gauntlet style game. Although there is some limit of 128 usb devices or similar to a single machine it is at most possible with directinput to have I think it is 15 gamepads connected at once. (see msdn site for details)
3.Yes - as Rob Farley says.
4.No real issue, have mucked around with things like this in the past simply reduce polycount and surface count - experimenting will let you know by how much.
5.Sorry no - but what happened to your syndicate style game?

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#5]
Thanks for the info guys.

Rob: Im not trying to pull a puki. i dont what a game or media just sudo code would do. thanks for your help you have given me but im really new at car stuff.

Matty: Rumbled. This is for my syndicate style game, ive been working on cars tanks etc for the game and a new control method for them. Ive got heavy slow moving vehicles working, but my game is set in the near future so normal cars will be more common. I wondered how real you can make cars look in motion without using ODE etc

The other questions about widescreen and multi player are for a friend who im talking into using blitz3d to make simple multi player games we can play at the weekends, when we get together. he has his pc though his LCD tv and he has 4 ps2 pads and a converter for the pc

_33(Posted 2007) [#6]
There are vehicles in syndicate.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#7]
_33 nobody said there wasn't? just they are stick to the roads and a bit dull. I hated what they did with the vehicles in syndicate wars.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#8]
I'll try and knock some code together this evening for you.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#9]
Thanks Mr Farley!

When I get round to it, Ive got alot of models and textures I will package up and give away free to anyone who wants them from the blitz forums. Ive had help from lots of you and Thought there maybe something i can give back.

Plus thank you to Stevie G for releasing his game TANX with Source code Ive not used any of it in my project but it was very interesting I learnt alot. I recomend a look to all.

thanks Pete

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#10]

Plus thank you to Stevie G for releasing his game TANX with Source code Ive not used any of it in my project but it was very interesting I learnt alot. I recomend a look to all.

You're welcome!

Mr. Slat(Posted 2007) [#11]
well is there any way to check whether anti aliasing is supported or not? without having a error message Lol

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#12]
As promised... Fake car physics

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=72826

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#13]
Rob Farley: Can't thank you enough! much better than my go. This would be good for my friends game too, hes making a super off road type game. Between me and him we need to combine this code with mak's Driver example so his litttle cars can drive over a terrain.