mirror

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/mirror

Mr. Slat(Posted 2007) [#1]
is there any way to make some objects not to reflect?

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
The only way I can think of is to do 2 renders. One with everything you dont want reflected hidden, and a second with everything you want reflected hidden.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#3]
this will cause z-oder problems. i mean if you render the reflection-entities first, the others will always be in front of them.
i wouldnt use a mirror tho...
its for small things only. and if using stencil shadows it'll be very bugy. using particles will make it slow

big10p(Posted 2007) [#4]
this will cause z-oder problems. i mean if you render the reflection-entities first, the others will always be in front of them.
No they won't. When double rendering, you preserve the z-buffer with CameraClsMode camera,0,0 between renders.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#5]
oops. didnt think about that... mirrors are no-good anyway. trust me

big10p(Posted 2007) [#6]
A blitz mirror may be perfectly satisfactory for his needs. He doesn't give any details so it's hard to make a judgement. ;)

I'm more interested to know what kind of objects dont have reflections. Maybe it's a vampire game?! :P

Mr. Slat(Posted 2007) [#7]
Lol...no Actually I'm making a menu like itunes, All saved games will have an image and I just want those images to have a reflection, but not buttons.

note: these buttons are sprites

I'm uploading the image, I'll link it later...not finished yet

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#8]
Make the buttons you do not want reflected from quads rather than sprites. As they have no backface they will not reflect in the mirror.

Stevie

Mr. Slat(Posted 2007) [#9]
quads?

Gillissie(Posted 2007) [#10]
Definitely render your UI stuff in a different pass. I have a good example of doing this here: http://www.gilligames.com/blitz/GG_3D_Sprites.zip

The sprites are rendered after the main 3D scene, so the positioning and scaling of the sprites is also very easy to manage. Also, there isn't any warping on the sprites because the sprite camera uses orthographic projection mode, guaranteeing a perfectly flat sprite as expected.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#11]
Here's what I mean .. The blue square is the sprite which is reflected, the red is the quad which isn't.

Graphics3D 640,480,16,1

camera = CreateCamera()
RotateEntity camera, 90,0,0
PositionEntity camera, 0,30,0

sprite = CreateSprite()
ScaleSprite sprite, 2,2
PositionEntity sprite, -10,10,0
EntityColor sprite, 0,0,255

quad = createquad()
ScaleEntity quad, 2, 2, 1
RotateEntity quad, 90,0,0
PositionEntity quad, 10,10,0