Sound bug with "text" command

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Sound bug with "text" command

gameproducer(Posted 2007) [#1]
Our sound artist had a major problem with some of my games, and today I realized that all the problems were because of the TEXT command in blitz.

I used that just for as a placeholder (will replace it with image font in the future), and it appears that not only it SLOWS down the game it can also SLOW DOWN THE SOUNDS.

I believe this bug is not documented anywhere, but I really think it should be mentioned in the documentation.

Also: this has happened only on ONE computer, so it's rare - but possible.

Just thought to share.

Wings(Posted 2007) [#2]
how do you mean slows down sound.

Cand you load up an example. like wav file ?
So we can hear it.

or is it the notes that slows downs ?

puki(Posted 2007) [#3]
It may well slow things down if you are making a lot of use of the 'Text' command.

The computer in question might not be up to it - or it has some drivers that are not up-to-date or perhaps somehow damaged.

gameproducer(Posted 2007) [#4]
It's not that FPS would be poor. The FPS rate is great, it's only the sound that sounds "horrible" according to the sound artist (and by horrible he means that it's not like when he plays the song using media player or something).

The sounds are fine on my computer - so I don't have any idea how it sounds. I might ask him to upload sample... (but don't count on getting it ;))

> "The computer in question might not be up to it - or it has some drivers that are not up-to-date or perhaps somehow damaged. "
Well, this guy plays DOZENS of different casual games (he has done sounds for Mystic Inn and many other games) so it's not like the only game he tried. It could be driver issue or something, but the key here is that this is the only time (blitz3d games with "text" commands) when he has experienced this type of behavior.

And... for the record: there was only 2 text commands used in the loop.

And I must repeat: the FPS is FINE. The movements are SMOOTH. Only the SOUNDS ARE SLOWED DOWN HORRIBLY. (with his computer - which he has used to play LOTS of games.)

I haven't heard about this issue before, but there it seems to be.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#5]
If you can't test this on your own PC, what makes you certain it's the Text command that's to blame?

lo-tekk(Posted 2007) [#6]
Are these 3d sounds or do you mean plain music ? There are some issues with 3d sounds i know of.

gameproducer(Posted 2007) [#7]
If you can't test this on your own PC, what makes you certain it's the Text command that's to blame?

Quite easy: I made two versions. One used TEXT, another didn't use TEXT (and no other difference).

The version that had TEXT didn't work properly on his computer.

It was not 3D sound. Was done like this:
	sndPlayerDie=LoadSound("sound.ogg") 
	PlaySound sndPlayerDie 

gameproducer(Posted 2007) [#8]
Just noticed this should be in the Bug report forum... oh well :)
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/topics.php?forum=50