entityradius

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/entityradius

cash(Posted 2007) [#1]
there are a lot of posts for this but I cant get the result i want.

if i use linepick to drop the man onto the ground its fine, however when walking inti things he partially goes through them(as expected)

if i use entityradius and collision then he stops as expected but I need a largish x radius. Whatever i set the y radius to (even none at all) the man does not allign to the ground properly and hovers above it.

I have tried a pivot at the centre of the man and used this for the radius but this caused strange jerky results when parented to the man.

What i need is a z linepick which surrounds the man. When i try this I have a variable which stope the man moving, unfortunately he stops completely and cannot be moved in any direction.

|There must be a simple solution to a large x radius and no y radius. I know its an ellipse and cannot get it to work.

The root bone is at the 0,0,0 placement.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
..have you try to use physics for collision detection..its excellent and very fast..there is also few collision detection libraries around what can do work..

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#3]

..have you try to use physics for collision detection..its excellent and very fast..there is also few collision detection libraries around what can do work..

You don't need a physics engine for this - it would be total overkill unless you're planning to use other features.

Linepick has a radius parameter you could try.

I've never tried to use the y param of entity radius but it looks like you need to offset the pivot upwards slightly. Temporarily use an alpha sphere, scaled as you would the entityradius params to visualise what adjustment is necessary.

You could also try using 2 x collision pivots. One at the feet but position at least the pivot radius above the ground and one at the head.

Stevie