BSP Textures

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/BSP Textures

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#1]
I intend using a BSP for the basic geometry for a game i wanna write.
the issue i've just come across is that a texture i want to use as a window or wire-fence isn't transparent where it needs to be?

if i use PNG the textures dont load up at all! and i want everything that uses black to be Transparent!

how can this be possible?

caff_(Posted 2007) [#2]
Have you tried TGA format?

It's been some tried since I tried BSPs, but I'm fairly sure it will work if you try TGA instead.

Rroff(Posted 2007) [#3]
BSP support is very limited - would be nice now that radiant has a GPL version if it was updated so that it could be handled like models, etc. able to manipulate surfaces, vertices, etc.

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#4]
TGA dark area's are normally transparent?
although, im sure it wouldn't take too much for mark to make textures with alpha channels to work?

caff_(Posted 2007) [#5]
Are you sure your RGBA textures are ok? Test your texture by applying to a basic box model to check it actually works.

It's possible that Blitz3D does not support alpha textures when loading them. Not many people use BSP format, so maybe nobody has noticed this problem before.

I would avoid using BSPs altogether - for a start, there is (or was) a licence fee for using them in a commercial product. I would try and learn to use other apps like blender / milkshape to model levels, and export to B3D format. If you have a very complex level, split up the mesh into chunks and hide/show them appropriately.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#6]
Alpha textures are supported if you set the texture filters appropriately. Or if you specify the texture as having an alpha channel when exporting your b3d from your 3d package. For instance in Giles you can set the texture properties such as masking/alpha etc before exporting your model.

Caff - BSPs themselves do not have a licence fee for using them, they used to (or still do) have some kind of restrictions about the tools used to create them though.

Neochrome - why do you want to use BSPs, they offer very little in the way of benefits over regular blitz3d meshes other than occlusion calculations (see another thread I posted a couple of weeks back).

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#7]
i know GtkRadient very well, i've got a copy of 3D world creator but it didn't fair up well, the multiple textures didn't help :(
i aggree its geometry is by far impressive that of the BSP but bsp DOES offer more speed for some reason!

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#8]
Caff - BSPs themselves do not have a licence fee for using them, they used to (or still do) have some kind of restrictions about the tools used to create them though.
True, but until recently there *were* no tools capable of producing BSP's that Blitz could read which did not need license fees. Perhaps that has changed now.

Rroff(Posted 2007) [#9]
Theres a GPL version of Radiant along with GPL compile tools which can be used for commercial projects to create BSPs... however I wouldn't use bsp for levels in a b3D production as they are too limited...

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#10]
i still would like to know how i can get BSP textures to actually mask black area's tho :(