the source if my int problem: My network

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/the source if my int problem: My network

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#1]
ive been working on my internet game for a looooong time now, trying to get it to work. I realized just yesterday when I ran the fpsnet demo that it was my network!
I really need help as I'm at a loss for ideas as to what to do.
Heres a detailed account of my situation:

-One Home Network running on a linksys router through yahoo at&t highspeed internet connection.

-4 computers on that network:
2 desktops (one is the one connected to the router)
2 laptops
1 wii

-the network is hard-wired and goes directly to the router via a cable

-linksys router WRT300N

-i have tried EVERY kind of internet library under the sun (and moon, at night)

-i got directplay to work but there was 2+ minute delay from the internet

-my internet speeds are
download = 6000 kbps
upload = 700-1000 kbps

I have not been able to figure out port forwarding but since i got it working before i thought it was working.

the ip you use is in the format: "192.168.x.xxx" correct?

thanks for any help i really appreciate it

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#2]
okay... i tried fpsnet again and it allowed me too create a server but as soon as I did so the other computers (on my network) wouldnt create a server or join one. So as soon as i create a server the other computers cant do anything

Subirenihil(Posted 2007) [#3]
Have you checked your firewall settings?

192.168.0.xxx is the default IP address for most networks, this is not what your internet address is. Internet IP addresses change sometimes. When you first enter the internet you will be assigned an IP address based upon your geographical location and how many other people in your geographical location are currently connected to the internet. When you leave the internet, your IP address may be assigned to another computer. Don't try to use IP addresses for internet games, only use IP addresses for network games. If you want to do internet games, look for GNet in the archives.

Your local IP address: 192.168.0.xxx and stays the same unless your network setup is rearranged.
Your internet IP address: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and may be different every time you get on the internet.

Port forwarding is used to tell the router that a specified connection is allowed. Normally, the router automatically blocks all communication that is not initiated by a computer on the local network. This is fine for just joining someone else's game but it means you can't host a game. Port forwarding works something like this (and this is probably what you want to use it for) you specify that any signals on port xxxx being sent from site www.website.com (or from any website) to a certain computer on your network (IP: 192.168.0.xxx) is allowed to pass through. So if I am playing an online game, I need to allow communication on certain ports. I would use say that all communication on port xxxx between my computer (specified by local IP) and some computer on the web (specified by web address) is allowed.

For LAN games, you can use things like KNetlib (check my signature for an example). For online games you can use things like GNet.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#4]
okay, i think i was using the wrong ip... that would explain the erratic problems...
And let me get this right, UDP requires port forwarding while TCP only requires UPNP to be enabled?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#5]
Whenever there's a LAN problem I'd suggest to:

Unplug the web from the router. Exit all software firewalls, skip hardware ones. Run some basic network code that is confirmed to be working. If this is ok and a server-client blitz net is running, one by one restart the firewall components and try to find the part that is blocking your protocol. Then alter this firewalls settings to allow the service/port/whatever in the firewall. Firewalls normally are a bit of a fiddle job, but that's a good sign.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#6]
actually mt problem seems to be the part of: "Run some basic network code that is confirmed to be working"

because no matter what i run it doesnt work. i have all my firewall and stuff off. But no go...

Could you clarify, unplug the web from the router?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#7]
Just for security reasons (because you turned off the firewall), unplug the modem from the router, disconnect the cable that goes to the internet, be it cable, adsl, dialup phoneline or any other ISP connection.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#8]
I'll lose internet then?

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#9]
@Fuller: I use a wireless router, thus, when I view my IP via IPCONFIG it displays an IP "192.168.xxx.xxx" Address. However, my game registers on GNET with an IP of 75.81.109.125.