LoadBSP - Any worth/use in Blitz3d

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/LoadBSP - Any worth/use in Blitz3d

Matty(Posted 2007) [#1]
I've never really used the LoadBSP, or other BSP, commands in blitz. I have a vague understanding of what they are but they are rarely mentioned on the forums - does anyone use them?

What benefits in blitz3d are there of using the LoadBSP command than simply loading a level with the standard collision commands?

Does blitz3d handle occlusion differently with the LoadBSP command?

Thanks,

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#2]
It does have occlusion, but mostly the pros are outweighed by the cons. Lighting being one i think?

Standard meshes are just more flexible and don't require particular tools to make them.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#3]
i'm not using BSP or MD2 models. the reson is: you can not access the vertices and triangles of these mesh types. that makes it hard to let them cast shadows (e.g)

sswift's shadow system supports shadow casting from all types of meshes, except BSP and MD2. he knows why he doesnt use those...

SLotman(Posted 2007) [#4]
It's a shame. I tried using BSP... even parsing some stuff like doors and jump pads by hand, but there are so many things missing (and I dont mean shaders, some default Q3 BSPs render missing geometry!) that it makes it pretty useless.

And of course, you cant have shadows... a shame, if implemented fully, it would be very helpfull, specially because it's very fast.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#5]
why dont they implement the BSP and MD2 routine into the loadmesh() routine???

Matty(Posted 2007) [#6]
I guess I'll avoid using them then...thanks for the info.