glass effect

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/glass effect

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi
I have looked in the archives for a glass effect and all i found was an example by jeppe nielsen.Which is not what i wanted,that was for shattering glass.What i need is a nice glass effect
What i have done at the moment is load a texture,and set the alpha to quite low and the 64 flag (for spherical map),it looks convincing but it also looks like cling film any advice about creating nice glass effect is very much appreciated.

thanks all Mark.

I have an example of what im on about but i don`t know
where to post or host it (what a numpty)
I`m a 3d modeler by trade.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#2]
Try cubic mapping.
http://www.blitzbasic.com/b3ddocs/command.php?name=LoadTexture&ref=3d_cat
or this:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=578

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#3]
My idea is to use a 'simulated glass crack' decal to mimic cracking glass, adding more connecting crack decals with additional damage. After a specific amount of damage, I replace the glass plane with a Single-Surface 'Glass' Reactor (aka Particle System). In its initial state the Glass Reactor has a specific set of Triangle Shards (Particles) arranged to form a single Glass Plane. The particles are then animated to look exploding like Glass debris.

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#4]
Another possibility is to animate a 3DS/B3D Plane mesh with keyframe animated Shards.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#5]
Erm.. he wasn't looking for animated breaking glass. :)

Thinking about it. Something I did for glass once didn't involve any special effects (no spherical or cube mapping), I just painted some white squiggles on a texture (with alpha), reduced the overall alpha to 0.2 (or thereabouts) and stretched it over a single pane of glass. Looked really nice surprisingly. The overall effect was that the windows looked like they were a bit dusty but had been cleaned at some time in the past leaving smears.

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#6]
LOL. Another post I misread...

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thank you Beaker
But i have the same problem when you put a light on it.It looks dusty or smokey.thanks again

be well.

mark

This is for a company introduction,not a game
so as you see it must be pretty good (They didn`t like the last idea.)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#8]
If the effect looks fine without a light, then disable lighting for it.

EntityFX Window,1

should do it, from memory.

And if it's too bright like that then I think EntityColor Window,128,128,128 should make things a bit better.

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2007) [#9]
I would love to post an example.but i don`t no how,i have been so lost lately my mind is like mush ,Internet,coding,life,children.
man am i going crazy.

thanks Mark.

Forget that waffle the Doc says the drugs are good.
drank to much
Any help would be nice.

be well all.

Mark

H. T. U.(Posted 2007) [#10]
While I have yet to do any programming involving objects with a glasslike material, I have found that the secret to convincing glass is its index of refraction. While most free 3d modeling programs don't include a way to modify this little known property, Blender does. Blender is an amazing freeware modeling program with countless options for materials and anything else. But before you download it and get started on a whim, READ THE MANUAL , or it won't make an ounce of sense. Once you understand the interface, you can make realistic glass in minutes.

You could probrably use B3d's brush tools to apply this material to an object on the fly somehow if you needed to.

P.S. Blender's website is www.blender.org (.com is a music and musicartist website)

Good luck!;)

Chad(Posted 2007) [#11]
I would love to see what you have. Email me or someone else on the forum and pollitely ask them to host an image (or demo) for you on their website so you can show us your example. Then post on here with what the link is so we can download it from the site and look at it (or try it out). From there we can give you proper tips on where to go from there.

-Chad

Subirenihil(Posted 2007) [#12]
H. T. U., B3D does not have any built-in way to do descent refraction. Reflection and/or refraction can be done with cubemapping although the refraction isn't worth anything.

If you look at a lot of games, they either don't have glass or they are just an alpha'd polygon, some have a little reflection as well.

Nice_But_Dim(Posted 2007) [#13]
Been on holiday
Thank you very much everybody for replying it is very much appreciated.Thank you Chad what is your email and i will send it to you.Thanks again all
be well

mark

carpman(Posted 2007) [#14]
I use Gile[s] to lightmap most of my scenes and find glass is quite easy to re-create.

Here I've used a small greyscale texture stretched over the glass faces.
The texture is set to Color, Alpha and Mipmap.
The Texture blend is set to additive.

The material blend is set to alpha and No lighting.
Full bright, flat shaded and two sided flags are on.
Cast shadows is off..

It looks like glass to me.
You can get different effects by changing the blend mode for both the texture and the material.