Tron styl trails...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Tron styl trails...

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hiya -

I ran the Fab Tron demo in the 3d Samples, but I need it to do this horizontally, against a landscape for a skiing type trail...anyone done this before?

Avon reminded me of that "Rocket Boards" game - thats the type of trail I need but hugging the height of my character's feet off the floor.

Ta

IPete2.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#2]
Found them - thanks anyways!

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=748

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#3]
I'm about to implement this for con-trails coming off the wingtips! :)

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#4]
Can use this for my swinging Sword blade trails?

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#5]
I think so Frank. Is the forum RPG thing going graphical?

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#6]
@Chroma: Nope. The Forum-RPG is doing its own thing. My FPSRPG is the sum of all my Blitz3D efforts. I'm just keeping on the low, and will reveal it somewhere in the future.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#7]
@FPS,

This code is in the archives... and has been declared public domain, so yes is my guess.

IPete2.

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#8]
@IPete2: Is the technique used to produce a graphical slash trail in sword fighting games?

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#9]
FPS,

Yes I would think so, although you'll need to adapt it slightly and get rid of each trail (there is a funciton to do this in the code), there's a create, update, and kill functions so you should be able to cut and paste the bits you need. I checked and you can do multiple calls to too, which means as long as you adjust the dimension set in the initial array to double the number of ploygons you want to use, you should find this excellent for your needs.

You will need two pivots for each instance though, one to start the left edge from and one to draw to the right edge to. The example code is quite easy to unpick so have a go...but if you can't get this to work the way you want then check out the 3d 'sample' examples in the B3d folder installation. Search out the 'MAK' folder and load up "tron.bb" this one uses the same technique but the trials are vertical not horizontal.

In any case report back here and I'll try to help if possible. :) I just wanna say again a big 'thank you' to the original posters and coders, this is such a neat addition to my game, thanks!

IPete2.