Cyborg: An AI-Interchange Network Model

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Cyborg: An AI-Interchange Network Model

Techlord(Posted 2007) [#1]
For the past 2 weeks, I've been researching Network design for my Multiplayer RPG FPS. I'm not doing the typical MMORPG thing, I have a slighty different multiplayer strategy.

The RPG will play like a Single Player allowing up to 3 players (Party Members: PM) to join in (w/ party leader's permission) in Cooperative Play. As a PM, players use their Combatants to aid the Party Leader in a Quest, increasing their combatant’s stats, skills, and weapon/armor.

Twelve (12) additional Players can join in as Enemy Combatants (ECs) that are alternatively controlled with AI (wo/ party leaders permission) . I refer to this as Cyborg Mode. In this mode, the player takes full control of the EC’s stats, skills, and weapons in battle. When control is relinquished, AI takes over.

The primary feature of Cyborg Mode is to is seamlessly interchange Remote Human control over the network with Local AI Control using several prediction techniques. This is applied to both PM and EC control.

In Cyborg Mode, Players earn Specialty Points during combat that are used to increase their Combatant’s stats, skills, and weapon/armor upgrades. This is different from a Party Leader & PM’s who receive points after the defeat of an EC or completion of objective. Additionally, this mode provides a preview into ECs Abilities that are not directly available.

To keep the action moving upon the termination of an EC, Players are automatically presented a list of ‘open’ ECs in the network to Possess). If a Player chooses not to posses an EC OR no ‘open’ ECs are available OR extreme latency OR disconnect, they are returned Combatant Screen to edit their Combatant.

Of course this is all on theoretical and written in my network design doc;)

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#2]
The problem with letting people be the enemy is they can cheat. If their buddy is the player they could be the enemy and make the enemy not fight back to help their buddy (the player). If there is no real competition between players though, then I guess it may not matter. Depends on the game you are making.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yeah, gotta love those design documents.