Clothing a character in Blitz3d?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Clothing a character in Blitz3d?

Bukky(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hey guys,

I'm evaluating Blitz3d SDK for a future project and have a question about some of the functionality. Suppose that I have a character which is animated with bones. Is it possible to give this character new clothes meshes on top of the original animated model?

puki(Posted 2007) [#2]
Technically, yes.

I think "MDickie" does this:
http://www.mdickie.com/

You basically hide the layers you don't want seen, and show the one you do. So you could have a character wearing a coat over a shirt. However, don't expect anything you just throw onto the mesh to animate with it.

I'm not into modelling - which is why I buy all my stuff.

Bukky(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks. So basically the clothes have to be animated with the same bones that are driving the rest of the body? Is there a way to make sure that the body underneath doesn't poke through the clothing?

Also, how do I choose which layer to render a mesh to and hide said layer? I'm a bit new for Blitz3d. I have Blitzmax experience, but right now I'm evaluating the Blitz3d SDK.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#4]
Could you make a number of models off the same base model with different textures, ect ect, and just switch them out as needed?

Bukky(Posted 2007) [#5]
Nope :(

Ideally we want new geometry to appear over the base mesh.

Wings(Posted 2007) [#6]
Here it what i do

Modeling.
1) Model a basic model with all moves. with skletoon.
2) Split this model into parts. with the bones. export to blitz3d

In blitz3d
1) Load the Head,Arms,Chest,Legs each part into a type object.
2) load the skletoon animation. if not saved with orginal export.

3) Write my own function to make the animate command. that animates types instead of Entitys.

type human
field head ;Contain the head includes animated skletoon
field chest ;Contains the chest includes animated

THats basic it.
You will not have the error there body bobs stick out of jacket.

one draw back is slowdowns.

One tip
You can load in new animation to bodyparts.

to simply fying above:
Split the Human into parts. each parts animated with own skletoon. Just make sure they animate exaktly the same.

Bukky(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hmmm....interesting. Wont breaking up the animated model mess up the skinning/weighting of the mesh though?

b32(Posted 2007) [#8]
Perhaps you could model a character and a cloth using the same set of bones? That way, they should be able to animate in the same way.
Beside LoadAnimMesh there is a command LoadAnimSeq, that loads only the animation part of a 3d model. Maybe it comes in handy for this purpose ?

Tom(Posted 2007) [#9]
To expand on 'b32', any clothing would need the same bone weighting/influence that the character has.

I'd create the clothing as a separate object, but in my animating application let the app know the clothing will use the bones from the character. I know this is possible in Lightwave3D, I've no idea about other 3D apps.