Tool for - Deleting choosen polys from a mesh

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Tool for - Deleting choosen polys from a mesh

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#1]
hi!
hm, i saw so many great models, but they all had a lot to much polygons which are completely unnecessary.
is there a tool in which i can pick some polygons of a surface and just delete them?
i searched through the toolbox, but well...
thank you for any reply!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
there is a polygon reduction function, I dont have link right now, but i have it saved at home, so i can post it when I came back, if you dont have it in main time..

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#3]
what i need is a tool in which i can select polygons which i like to be deleted. this is for meshes were are polygons, the human doesnt even see...

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#4]
Pretty much any 3D modeller or Ultimate Unwrap will do that.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#5]
hm, thats only a texture mapper :?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
Somebody said Fragmotion can do so as well, right?

You may also write a little utility in Blitz, there are nice export sources. You only have to rebuild the meshes and ignore the tris you want to delete. If you donŽt bother about some unused vertices then it's really trivial. But I' suggest to get rid of unused vertices before you save it, so youŽd have to remove the unused vertices from the vertex list and then re-index the triangles list.

to make this run fast you'll do something like this:
m2=copymesh(m)

surfs=countsurfaces()
for s=1 to surfs
surf=getsurface(m,s)
surf2=getsurface(m2,s)
tris=counttriangles(m,surf)
clearsurface surf2,0,1 ; will remove all tris, not the vertices and brush!
for t=0 to tris-1

;create a new list of tris, containing only the tris you want, using copied date from the original mesh

next
next

;now delete mesh and return mesh2

So this is still the unoptimized vertex list, BTW

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#7]
Ultimate Unwrap may 'only be a texture mapper' but you can remove triangles.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#8]
jfk: thanks for the code, but i know what you mean and how to do it. i'm rather looking for this kind of way...
how can i remove triangles with ultimeta unwrap?
edit: ah i see it now!
thanks everyone!

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#9]
The biggest hit to some free models ive seen out there to blitz is the fact that some of them use double sided faces doubling the poly count. With todays modern video cards even a few hundred extra polygons here and there wont be near the performance hit that you think it would be. But im picky... when I make models I dont cut corners and make sure every triangle present is required. The best bet is to find models(or modelers) that use consistent edge loops. These types of models are low poly and high detail.

Mortiis(Posted 2007) [#10]
Wings3d is the easiest solution plus it's free...

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#11]
well, as you know, i'm coding a software renderer
http://www.blitzbasic.com/gallery/view_pic.php?id=1629

so it is totaly necessiary to do this ;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#12]
which is cool and I gave you 5 gallery points for :)