Update 1.99

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Update 1.99

proud2bme(Posted 2007) [#1]
I heard the 1.99 update is coming soon, and I know about the speed increase (hopefully), but will it also address the Alpha bug and will it be fully compatible with Vista. Anybody who doesn't know what I'm talking about there were a couple posts describing a problem with B3D programs running under Vista and a DLL was made to fix it.

I don't have Vista but I would like to know if the coming updates will make any rock-solid program I design rock-solid on every compatible system. Thanks.

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#2]
yeah, but the problem doesn't comes alone with Vista in terms of compatibility. Basically is a problem regarding resources management when game window lost focus or user makes Win+L, Alt+Tab.... and want to come again to the game...

There are some posts by artur describing exactly this problem..

Regards!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
..I hope it will be washed out..its quite annoying..

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#4]
yes, and mainly because if you make a casual game or something similar, the publisher cannot accept an application that doesn't support Alt+tab because it crashes or turns freeze!! it's crazy!

Best regards!

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#5]
I heard the 1.99 update is coming soon, and I know about the speed increase (hopefully)

Hey, what?! A speed increase for Blitz3d?! What have you heard? When/where did you hear this?

SLotman(Posted 2007) [#6]
...and I thought this thread was already announcing the 1.99 release =P

I dont care much about bugs with ALT+TAB (I just block the ALT key in fullscreen mode and that's it) - although it would be pretty good to fix the other Vista-related bugs (log-off and so on), but the alpha sorting and the "texturing grouping" is a must for me.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#7]
So where are you getting this info??

Ked(Posted 2007) [#8]
I heard the 1.99 update is coming soon

SAY WHAT?! Where the heck did you hear that??? I just checked and its not on Mark's worklog!! WHERE DID YOU HEAR THAT?!?!

dynaman(Posted 2007) [#9]
It was from the BlitzSDK threads. (Me in specific). There was a change made to B3D for handling something (vertox buffer sorting?) that made it faster then standard B3D in some instances. It was mentioned that the 1.99 patch for B3D would include the changes.

You will need to search through the SDK posts to find the specific info (it was one of the first threads on SDK performance if I remember correctly)

Edit - found the thread.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=70144#786021

GfK(Posted 2007) [#10]
He never said anything about Blitz3D being speeded up. He said he'd "fixed a few things which might make it into Blitz3D 1.99". Assuming he hasn't made any major changes to Blitz3D's render pipeline, I wouldn't be too disappointed when everything in 1.99 runs at exactly the same speed as in previous versions.

Canardian(Posted 2007) [#11]
yeah, but the problem doesn't comes alone with Vista in terms of compatibility. Basically is a problem regarding resources management when game window lost focus or user makes Win+L, Alt+Tab.... and want to come again to the game...

That's exactly the reason why I started to write apps and games in maximized windowed mode only (no window title bar and no windows task bar visible). Alt-Tab switching is lightning fast, the 3D graphics run with higher FPS (at least on my PC), and you have the same gamma brightness, resolution and refresh rate your desktop (setting the refresh rate to 120Hz (or more) makes the graphics in many games much faster).

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#12]
Going back through the thread trail;

The tweaking I did to improve rendering speed were based on benchmarking the clone army featured in the animtest (and the leading bug in blitz3d bug reports) where ATI cards were stalling on cloned b3d models and ATI and NVidia both showed significant performance boosts when primitives were grouped in an extra sorted list to minimize state changes when using multi surface .x type animated robots.

This doesn't sound to me like an 'across the board' speed increase (and hence not a reason to delay releasing Tank Universal).

proud2bme(Posted 2007) [#13]
Sorry If I led anybody on. I did get this information from the SDK threads. Sounds like a reasonable expectation to me. Since there are the glaring bugs that people mentioned left in Blitz3D, but seemingly no other specific problems, I think a 2.00 release could be considered near bug free. Ofcourse I don't know how involved any of the fixes will be.

And I should be careful how I title posts. Next one's going to be "Blitzmax 3D module finished", the entire post discussing the possibility.