Deformation order in bone meshes?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Deformation order in bone meshes?

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm thinking of writing a blend shape system for my charactor models. Does anyone know the order in which blitz deforms it's models? If I manually move the vertices in the model, will they still be affected by the bones?

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hm, I don't think it matters. Looks to me like you can't do vertice commands on animated meshs.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#3]
Only a guess: you CAN, but after every updateworld they will be undone, cause Updateworld does not only affect the bones, but also the vertices and calculates their interpolated positions based on prev and next animation keys.

Tho, VertexX etc. will always return the intital pose location, not the current location of the animated vertex.

One more thing I learned some time ago: If you manualy move/rotate/etc a bone then there won't be vertex weighting, but each vertex will be bound only to one ( the most significant i guess) bone.

Tom(Posted 2007) [#4]
Does anyone know the order in which blitz deforms it's models?

I don't think B3D manualy deforms verts itself. It could animate skinned meshes this way, but DX7 has a way to render a skinned mesh with blending weights, 'geometry blending'. This will always be faster than transforming manualy, but because it's done on the GPU, no transformed vert info will be available.

So as transformed vert info isn't available, B3D must be doing hardware skinning.

jfk: that sounds like a bug to me.