toying with banks

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/toying with banks

_33(Posted 2007) [#1]
For my current project, I needed to create functions that permit shuffling values from/to a buffer that is consisted of a bank and some pointers.

Here is one of the functions. It is meant to take an INT value and add that into a bank buffer as ascii values. It is a working function.

Any improvements would be greatly appreciated:
Function term_insert_INT_into_request(num_in%)
   Local num_send_subsequent% = False
   num_out% = Floor (num_in * 0.000001) Mod 10 : If num_out > 0 Then term_insert_into_answerback_buffer(num_out + 48) : num_send_subsequent% = True
   num_out% = Floor (num_in * 0.00001 ) Mod 10 : If num_out > 0 Or num_send_subsequent = True Then term_insert_into_request_buffer(num_out + 48) : num_send_subsequent% = True
   num_out% = Floor (num_in * 0.0001  ) Mod 10 : If num_out > 0 Or num_send_subsequent = True Then term_insert_into_request_buffer(num_out + 48) : num_send_subsequent% = True
   num_out% = Floor (num_in * 0.001   ) Mod 10 : If num_out > 0 Or num_send_subsequent = True Then term_insert_into_request_buffer(num_out + 48) : num_send_subsequent% = True
   num_out% = Floor (num_in * 0.01    ) Mod 10 : If num_out > 0 Or num_send_subsequent = True Then term_insert_into_request_buffer(num_out + 48) : num_send_subsequent% = True
   num_out% = Floor (num_in * 0.1     ) Mod 10 : If num_out > 0 Or num_send_subsequent = True Then term_insert_into_request_buffer(num_out + 48) : num_send_subsequent% = True
   num_out% = Floor (num_in           ) Mod 10 : term_insert_into_request_buffer(num_out + 48)
End Function

Function term_insert_into_request_buffer(char%)
   term\request_buffer_write_marker = term\request_buffer_write_marker + 1
   PokeByte (term\request_buffer, term\request_buffer_write_marker, char)
End Function

What is missing as it stands, is a way to theck if the buffer is full, and return -1 error code if so. I'm also looking at a way of removing the Floor command. Also, values > 9999999 won't be rendered properly into the buffer. Finally, the INT values are all to be positive, and that is part of the specs of the buffer.

Here is how I initialize the buffer:
   term\request_buffer_write_marker = 0
   term\request_buffer_max        = 4096
   term\request_buffer            = CreateBank(term\request_buffer_max + 2)
   PokeByte (term\request_buffer, term\request_buffer_max, 48) ; end request_buffer with a useful 0 ascii value
   PokeByte (term\request_buffer, term\request_buffer_max + 1, 0) ; end request_buffer with a useful null value

The buffer is part of a type, as such:
Type my_buffer
   Field request_buffer%
   Field request_buffer_write_marker%
   Field request_buffer_instring_marker%
   Field request_buffer_max%
   Field request_buffer_tokencount%
End Type