Bumpmaps

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Bumpmaps

Eviltoes(Posted 2007) [#1]
How would one go about making a bumpmap?

_33(Posted 2007) [#2]
http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tutorials/creating_bumpmaps_from_images.htm

Here's a tutorial on creating the bumpmap image from a real photograph or picture of an object.

Eviltoes(Posted 2007) [#3]
And..umm....how do I load one into blitz3d and apply it to an object?

_33(Posted 2007) [#4]
You need the DX7TEST.DLL from Tom and a userlib that goes with DX7TEST.DLL. Also, you need a fancy little bumpmap example, like the one below:

Eviltoes(Posted 2007) [#5]
I am getting a 'function not found' at

If DX7_SetSystemProperties(d3d,dev7,draw7,hwnd,instance) RuntimeError "Error setting 1 or more System Propertys!"

and how can I tell if I have dx7test.dll or not, and if not how do I get it.

_33(Posted 2007) [#6]
Bumpmaps are not supported natively in Blitz3d (only DOT3, which is an emboss). If you want to put bumpmaps in your projects, you'll need to add this to Blitz with a DLL function set that permits doing what you ask for.

But to help you start off, get to know "Blitz3D/userlibs" in your Program Files. That is where to put DLLs and DECLS files that are to be used for your project.

I'm sorry, can't help more than this.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to note that this test comes with some media files, it can't be run without them. But it should give you the basis of a bumpmap code, simply.

Cheers.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#7]
I think there is also some kind of bumpmapping in native blitz3D, called dot3. There may be some examples on how to use it around here.

The dx7test.dll is part of one of "tomspeed"'s releases
Search your computer for the dll, then this website, then the web :)

Note: I just tried to find his page and I hate to say it, but it seems the site is dieing right now.
THe URL http://www.tomspeed.com/ redirects to the provider and says "Domain expired ... If you are the owner of this domain name you should contact account@... at once."

We should create a fund to pay the bill for his site, Probably that's still possible. He had a lot of nice goodies on his server: bumpmapping, stencil shadows with shadowvolumes and and and.

Or is there a mirror somewhere? Google didn't find anything so far.

Tom(Posted 2007) [#8]
Yeh that bill's at the bottom of my list at the moment :)

BumpMapping is hacky because of how RenderWorld() works. Trust me, it hides a lot of brainache from you guys!

The DLL has been a never ending work in progress, It sucks because it creates problems version to version due to changes. I'll try and get a package together soon with something actualy usable.

At the moment I'm toying with homebrew rendering as an alternative to using RenderWorld(), most of the guts of the functions are kept inside B3D so anyone can tweak the code. It means of course you can setup texture layers & vertex buffers however you please.

It's at least as fast as Blitz renders and allows for a lot of tweaking. You can use more or less than 2 sets of UVs, more texture blending modes, automatic texture UV generation (automatic projected textures, useful for shadow mapping), e.t.c.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#9]
uuh tom, this sounds great!!!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
..whoa..Tom, thats great..hurryyy :)

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#11]
cool bump Fx _33!
a doubt: Using the Dx7 dll could make my .exe less compatible than a Blitz3D standard executable?

_33(Posted 2007) [#12]
z4g0: It's actually something that Tom wrote that I pasted here. I never personally used any bump FX's yest! LOL! But I tought it was quite appropriate here.