Non Square Sprites?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Non Square Sprites?

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2007) [#1]
is it possible to load non square sprites somehow?

H&K(Posted 2007) [#2]
Does a sprite texture need to be square at all?

Oh well, even if it did, it wouldnt really matter if the image on the sprite wasnt, now would it?

SLotman(Posted 2007) [#3]
You will have less texture problems if all your textures are ^2 (some cards only support this), but you can use transparencies or masks to draw smaller images...

So if you want a image of 103 x 51, just make one with 128x64 with mask or alpha channel to remove the unwanted pixels ;)

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2007) [#4]
wouldnt that slow it down a bit to have all those extra transparent pixels on the screen?

H&K(Posted 2007) [#5]
I honestly dont know, but its one of those things that is almost certainly under hardware acceleration.

So I imagine that it wont be the bottle neck in any program, also with 1/4Gig graphics memory becoming the norm, I wouldnt worry about the memory problem.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#6]
Non ^2 are just stretched to ^2
for performance reasons you would use only square textures as they can be handled more efficiently

256MB as norm as a little critical, Intel still sends out GMA 950 with 64 and 96MB shared and as you use B3D you are not targetting those with higher end cards obviously, so targetting at 256MB is over the top.
Above that you don't need that textures sizes. You do not have shaders, FSAA nor anything else that benefits of those texture sizes and if you save your image as DDS you save up to 75% of VRAM as well ...

just as a few notes.