Sprite Candy

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Sprite Candy

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#1]
What is Sprite Candy??

ingenium(Posted 2007) [#2]
click

Sprite Candy is an extremely flexible, easy-to-use and powerful single-surface 2D graphics engine to handle all kind of high-performance 2D graphics -from simple HUD displays for your 3D game, to complete console-style 2D games. With Sprite Candy you can do: HUD displays, animated menus and title screens, bitmap texts, animated buttons & button events, colored shapes & lines, tiled images, animated images, complex sprite movements -all done with a few, simple commands only!

P.s. Google is your friend ;)

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#3]
And it was updated few days ago. It's even better than before :-)

Barney

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
...updated...how I didnt receive any email regarding that...I'm going to check..

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#5]
I've missed emails before (about SpriteCandy), but this latest one came through fine - and what a nice surprise it was!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
..hey guys, how to get this update?? I am registered user for both, sprite and particle candy...but I cant see any button where I can type in my registration details or so...how to download this update??

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#7]
There's a (temporary) link in the email to download it. It has mention in that same email that if you can't download it, send an email - but I don't have that email here so I can't tell you the address.

The default email address on the x-pressive.com site has always worked in the past though. I'd suggest that.

info@...

CodeGit(Posted 2007) [#8]
Here is the email address and message from x-pressive.

If you are, for some reason, not able to download the update, please contact support@... (please also include your ShareIt order ID and the email address you used to purchase the product).

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#9]
There ya go.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2007) [#10]
I heard sprite candy is only usable if you own Blitz.

Is that true

popcade(Posted 2007) [#11]
>only usable if you own Blitz.

Only usable when you have Blitz"3D", it's a 2D-in-3D library, but very powerful and fast.

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#12]
Can you tell me what's altered / is better? I use SC & PC, but ditched my old email account ages ago, and therefore can't retreive the info I need on the shareit order ID.
Is it seriously worth me bothering?

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#13]
Changes are mainly to the inbuilt GUI system. If you don't need the GUI you probably won't need the update.

Barney

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#14]
..I emailed Mike and he told me to send him py purchase details and he will set up download link for me..so I think it can work for anyone who has a problems with downloading update..

Rob Buckley(Posted 2007) [#15]
Oh well i never used the GUI system, so I don't mind that much that i'm unlikely to be able to download the update.

I wonder with the SDK If Mike has considered updating his two tools? I believe the new SDK fixes the Z ordering issues, which actually became a real issue when using several layers in Sprite Candy.

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#16]
I bought this a while back and never bothered trying it out (impulse buy). But now I'm planning a 2D platform game and probably will use this for the sprites and interface.

Just used the Font candy program, that's brilliant! Produce your own bitmap fint in minutes. Can't wait to get my head round the sprite system and start making some stuff with it.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#17]
Sprite Candy is awesome. It's awesome.

Once more, it's awesome.

VERY POWERFUL, FLEXIBLE, WELL WRITTEN and WILL SAVE YOU TONS AND TONS OF TIME!

_33(Posted 2007) [#18]
Are there any benchmarks that could compare Sprite Candy with Fast Image? I might make the switch :P

It's for use in my Terminal emulation system. Which in turn will be used for my games menu and windowing.

DGuy(Posted 2007) [#19]
What Boiled Sweets said. :)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#20]
Sprite Candy / FastImage serve 2 different purposes.
Does FastImage support GUIs for example?
Does FastImage have set and forget effects for example?

Panno(Posted 2007) [#21]
mike dont answers me ................ :(

@rtur(Posted 2007) [#22]
FastImage is just image rendering library, SpriteCandy is sprite engine.
FastImage faster but SpriteCandy has almost all you need for 2d games or HUD creation.

So it depends of what you need.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#23]
I must say that FastImage is really outstanding and of course on the top of it, you can build your own editor if you like..and its really fast...SpriteCandy is nice its full toolset so, pick up your choice..

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#24]
Also the author of FastImage has been banned has he not.

It was a great engine but Sprite Candy is a different beast. It is THE library for any HUD/Menu/Sprite stuff you will need in a game.

Creating a 2d game with Sprite Candy will reduce the develoment time by 70% I would say.

It does SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more than FastIMage but again FastImage and Sprite Candy serve two different purposes.

_33(Posted 2007) [#25]
That is the problem about FastImage, the author has been banned, and support is now over. Even before, I used to e-mail him with requests, but he didn't seem to care. But his library is very fast!

Oh, of course I'd use sprite candy for FXs! But I'll read more on it before. Does it use a DLL or it's all blitz code?

popcade(Posted 2007) [#26]
Sprite Candy is pure Blitz Code, a huge set of 2D-in-3D commands.... didn't tried the BMX translater yet, don't k now if anyone successfully translated it yet?

alain(Posted 2007) [#27]
I just bought Sprite Candy last friday and played with it this weekend.

It is really a good library and it helped me a lot on my 2D game.

Is is well designed and well documented.

Thanks to the author.

Dustin(Posted 2007) [#28]
I didn't get any update email as well. I emailed them (support@...) a few days ago with my info (name, date ordered & share-it#) but have yet to get any response.

Has anyone else gotten any response from them? If so, how long did it take?

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#29]
Yeah Mike

emailed me today about some stuff I needed help with - so they are definately there and working.

IPete2.

Dustin(Posted 2007) [#30]
Hmm...

I'm glad you're having luck IPete2. Wish I could say the same. I've tried both supprt@... and info@... and have gotten no response from either.

If you contact them again could you help a 'Blitzer' out and let them know I'm trying to get the upgrade? dustin@...

Thanks!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#31]
I emailed Mike with my share it details and purchase info I had and he sent me update for SpriteCandy..it takes few days and weekends hes not responding, anyway, yes I got it..

Dustin(Posted 2007) [#32]
Thanks for the update Naughty Alien.

Okay, I'll sit back and be patient. I just *REALLY* want to put that GUI to work with my level editor!!!

Dustin(Posted 2007) [#33]
Okay, I'm completely happy now. They did in fact get me my link. Strange, I double checked my share-it account and my email was listed correctly so I don't know why I didn't get the original email.

No matter, I've got it now and I'm *loving* the new GUI system. It's exactly the piece I need for my level editor!

Sprite Candy = great product!

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#34]
Share-It are crap!... I bought Sprite Candy in may... 48 hours later... no e-mail/DL link!... so (unwisely) I rang em... all the way to Germany!!!... I was on hold for 25 minutes!!!... Jeez!... that musta cost more than Sprite Candy!!!... the guy I spoke to said he couldnt find any record of my order... so he took the details again & said I'd get the DL email later that day.

2 hours later I checked my emails & had TWO!!!... with TWO different order numbers!!... I rang my bank (phone banking number)... and it listed TWO debits to Share-It!... so I rang Share-It back... another 20 minutes on hold... before I got through to the same guy, who deleted (so he said) ONE of the orders!... over a week later I got a refund for one of the `orders`credited back to my bank account... GREAT!... I thought!

Then I read on here about the latest free update to Sprite Candy... for which I aint received any notification!... so I checked my Share-It account... and it only shows that I bought Blitz3D from them!!... no mention of Sprite Candy!!!

So I filled in the "customer services" enquiry on the Share-It web-site explaining what happened & gave them both the actual order number AND the cancelled duplicate number!... I checked the "send me a copy of my enquiry" box... and not only have I not received a reply... I aint even received a copy of my (lengthy) enquiry!!!... Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!... and I know they got the right email addy for me... cos thats where the DL links went to!!!

Mike has sent me the update link though, and I have the new version... but unless Share-It get their act together, I'm gonna have to go through all this again next time!!!

Bailius Maximus(Posted 2007) [#35]
silly question...how does on log into their share it account...i went to shareit.com and found no loggin

also did any previous purchaser of sprite candy get only one 6 meg file for installation which didn't work at all...just flashed a window real quick and then it was done...done doing nothing that is...at least from what i can tell

also the idiot that i am when confronting such issues deleted my product reg code files...any advice on getting these back...i've emailed info@... an hour ago and am impatient since my money is gone and i have no new software...i am hoping for a quick resolution to this...don't know if it is share-its problem, my problem, or x-pressive's problem...

any guidance is greatly appreciated...thanks!

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#36]
Interesting. I've been purchasing various software packages through Share-IT for years and never had a single problem.

And regarding the update. It's pointless to contact Share-IT about it. Updates are sent by Mike Dogan (author of Sprite Candy). He can be contacted at info@... but bear in mind that right now it's weekend and it may happen you'll have to wait until next week to hear from him. I also missed the update once and got it within few days of sending the mail to Mike. I know how you guys feel, but with a little patience I am sure everything will work out. Sprite Candy is too good to be without it.

Barney

Bailius Maximus(Posted 2007) [#37]
Barnabius...thanks...how does one log into share it just to get the non updated version? I couldn't find a login at their website...

Barnabius(Posted 2007) [#38]
Share-IT holds your download only if you paid extra for that service. If you did not pay for it the file is held for some time and than it becomes unavailable. I never paid for the extended download service so I would not know about the login procedure, sorry.

Barney

Bailius Maximus(Posted 2007) [#39]
Again thanks! I'll wait til monday (hopefully), i suppose, to get all this squared away...just got a little too excited i guess...;)

Quantum(Posted 2007) [#40]
I emailed Mike Dogan when I didnt receive a link to the update... he kindly replied with the link and the following info:

You can download the latest Sprite Candy update using the temporary custom link below:

Please download immediately since these links will be removed within the next 48 hours.

To receive future updates automatically, please verify that you entered your current email address in your shareit.com user account. Updates are sent via shareit.com newsletter services (REACH).

Regards,
Mike Dogan
X-PRESSIVE.COM GAMES & MULTIMEDIA

... so apparently the Share-it newsletter contains the update link... which probably explains why I didnt receive it... I think my spam filter nuked the newsletter :P

Bailius Maximus(Posted 2007) [#41]
oh, ok...i'll check into getting a share it account...hopefully not too expensive.

Thank you, Quantum.

PS Yesterday, i was losing my head while all others were keeping theirs! ;)