Stencil Shadow

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Stencil Shadow

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#1]
..I'm wondering does existing stencil shadow systems (DSS, Ashadow) receiving shadows on to surfaces whats lightmapped?? Does stencil shadow casting/receiving depending on lightmap use over geometry??

Nebula(Posted 2007) [#2]
You could use a a4 paper a candle or light and a pencil to study this. Cast a shadow on the paper and imagine it is
your project.
A stencil is like a a4 white paper. You can simulate the problem in real life with tools around you.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
well..its work 'fine' with a4 papers without lightmap assigned on to them, while geometry loaded with LoadAnimMesh and then extracted some parts of geometry with FindChild in order to be defined as caster or receiver just doesnt work...actually, casting working but receiving not..so A4 paper obviously giving 2 different results...

Nebula(Posted 2007) [#4]
I still have to study this myself, i am very new to the technical names. As ridicules as it sounds I am still trying to play with shoeboxes using teacandles to study animated shadows with tiny mirrors to compare the difference with the game screenshots and the actual programming.
I would actually use anything inside or outside of my house to figure out on how to make a game.

So a stencil is a a4 paper and a map. ?
Light map / height map / bump map.
Ribbons have less width. ?

I am going to get some beer.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
..oh..bring one beer for me too..

Tom(Posted 2007) [#6]
Stencil Shadows will darken *anything* that's drawn within them, whether lightmapped or not.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#7]
..then whats possible reason why lightmapped surface I'm trying to use as a receiver if same commands working just fine over geometry whats not lightmaped??