So here is a stupid question...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/So here is a stupid question...

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#1]
If you had to add one 'killer feature' to your B3d game, what would it be and how would you implement it?

Why would you include it?

IPete2.

Chaosspear(Posted 2007) [#2]
HideEntity light

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#3]
single-surface entities
save cpu power

Ricky Smith(Posted 2007) [#4]

If you had to add one 'killer feature' to your B3d game, what would it be

A real-time physics engine.

how would you implement it?

Via the growing array of physics engine wrappers available.

Why would you include it?

Extra realism and immersibility - lots of fun gameplay.
Physics based puzzles, ragdoll enemies, cool vehicles etc, etc.

OrcSlayer(Posted 2007) [#5]
I actually get pretty good results with Tokamak myself...it's just some of the seemingly simpler things that tend to make me scratch my head and ask for help...

(tu) sinu(Posted 2007) [#6]
I think ricky's answer was the right one for you IPete2 :-)

Matty(Posted 2007) [#7]
better occlusion culling (ie like not rendering objects in a dungeon that are standing behind a door which you are facing)

faster animated meshes in b3d format - although processor speeds and gpus are getting better and better I would love it if I could have as many animated meshes on screen at once as in other comparable directx7-era games.

However I'm not likely to be using blitz3d in the near future (don't write many 3d games anymore).

GfK(Posted 2007) [#8]
Gameplay.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#9]
of course, it would be realtime stencil shadows / textured shadows.
particles does not take much usage of the cpu, and physics does not take usage too (at least when using ageia)

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#10]
tu (sinu),

Lol yep you're right - for me it would be physics which would also allow me to improve my collision detection capabilities...now, who do I know who may be able to help with that one??? Ah yes... ;)

IPete2.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#11]
Endless sales...

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#12]
Haha! good one!

i would add:
- animated shadows (good one, and fast)
implantation: no idea
- physX engine
- smooth mesh morphing (like rubber, and gelly)
implantation: i guess i would start by determining what vertex are assigned to bones, and scale that... but i already smell an issue with that concerning "smooth morphing".

_33(Posted 2007) [#13]
1) Shadows, big shadows, large scale shadowing, massively fast and efficient stencil shadowing.

2) How to implement? Devil Shadow System, AShadow, or not to forget Swift's Stencil Shadow System... Include that in your main and hook up the things together.

3) Why? Hah, because 3D games without any shadows, IMHO look older and lower tech. And I have always deamed about making a game that use a real time shadowing system. Not that it has never been done, just look at DOOM 3, and tons of other games that started to include that in 2004 and beyond.