CreateListener Problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/CreateListener Problem

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#1]
Basicly my problem is to "RollOff" factor of the command: My 3D sounds basicly have a low volume in the game, even when I'm relative close to them, noless I still can hear them when I'm far away.

Altering the Rolloff parameter didn't solve the problem because when I try to limit their max range then I almost can't hear them anymore even when I'm close to them. What I needed was a sound that has a low inner center falloff and a second higher falloff behaviour in outter areas.

I thought This would be possible with the distance scale parameter. But I it seems to me the distance scale parameter does affect only the doppler effect.
Any Ideas?

One more Question: When I load a 3D sound, is the channelvolume set to the max by default?

amitjf(Posted 2007) [#2]
For the first question i don't know how to help, but for the second, as far as i know yes it does.

b32(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hmm, have you tried to avoid using 3d sounds and set the sound volumes yourself instead ?

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#4]
Don't know if this helps but I use
CreateListener hEntCamera, 0.1
as opposed to the default rolloff which is 1.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#5]
CreateListener has always been a royal pain in the arse to get right.

When I've used it in the past, its basically been trial and error rather than knowing what I was doing.

I *think* James Boyd posted something about it a couple of years ago, explaning the parameters in-depth (When I asked why it wasn't done in the "CreateListener cam,near,far" syntax to keep it simple).

Whether the default parameters work, largely depends on the game scale you're using. I.e. if your player is 500 units wide, then an enemy of the same size, standing right next to him - you probably won't hear anything because in game terms its 500 units away.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#6]
Concur with Gfk

For my tank game (where 1 blitz unit effectively equals 1 metre) I use the following;

CreateListener LISTENER,..015,5,.5

which gives good results - but my levels are large open levels, meaning you need to be able to hear tanks firing up to a 1km away...

Ice9(Posted 2007) [#7]
I third the scale factor it seems to be static with the 3d sound commands no way to really scale it properly but I never figured out exactly what the optimum scale is. On your low volume sounds you may want to amp up the sounds in a sound editor to what you like in the game, there again its a game of high and low to get it right.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#8]
>>On your low volume sounds you may want to amp up the sounds in a sound editor <<

Yeah, I was afraid this is the only way. Seems like I have to forget about "maximize volume" and turn it up straight 300% or so, no matter what. Probably using a compressor first.