CameraRange Problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/CameraRange Problem

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#1]
I have a serious problem with CameraRange:

My fps gunhand is scaled down to a very small size to prevent it from dipping into walls. I prefere this over the not-working EntityOrder hack. To make this work, my camera range needs to start at 0.03 (to eg. 250). This is all working fine so far.

Now I have a level mesh that contains some hills from a FLE export (ALE like terrain mesh, using vertex alpha). The Mesh is using a slightly z-elevated alphablended mesh for the additional materials, i hope you know what I mean. (This kind of "blending" isn't very clever anyway, but for this level I don't want/can go back)

Where this renders fine with a camerarange min of 0.1, it starts z-fighting horribly with a min of only 0.03. But when I use a min of 0.1 then the gunhand mesh is rendered only partly.

How you solve this Problem? I would like to prevent an additional render because of the overhead and also to keep things simple.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
I'd be surprised if an additional render would cause much of an overhead. Afterall, you're only rendering the same amount of objects, just in 2 render passes. Have you tried it?

Other than doing something like this, I can't see how you can get this working with a near clip of only 0.03. Maybe try a w-buffer?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks. WBuffer is already on. I couldn't find an other solution than the 2nd renderpass. One is rendering 0.25 to 450 and the other one 0.03 to 0.25. This works ok. I only remember Halo reported speed loss trough renderworld overhead some time ago, an empty renderword would still eat a few millisecs. It still has to iterate trough all meshes and see if they intersect the current camerarange, regardless if they were already rendered in the prev pass.

At least I made it optional. The camera cfg file allows to turn on/off this 2nd pass, as well as to define the ranges of both passes. So it's "undoable".

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#4]
Heres a really bad idea... try altering the camerazoom value slightly keeping the 0.1 on the camerarange and move the gun mesh away slightly.

Sledge(Posted 2007) [#5]

One is rendering 0.25 to 450 and the other one 0.03 to 0.25.

That seems an odd faff when you can just bung in a second camera, miles away, and composite the gunhand with that.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
That would be two renders too, so it doesn't really matter. The gunhand is also "cross-woven" in the current location, eg: it's lit by local lights etc.

For now the two part render is ok. It's also a future feature to prevent z-resolution problems based on rounding errors. Thanks everybody.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#7]
its not that bad. i am also using the 2 pass method. it gave me better quality (less z-fighting or higher viewdistance) than a one pass render. i am using hud&gun as second renderpass btw. so there's not really a loss in speed...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks. I also prefere this higher flexibility of the Z-Buffer, the ability to prevent z-fighting. Additionally, the level design allows to define the ranges and to skip the 2nd pass, so everything's fine. I still wonder why my HUD is rendered with the distant pass - maybe cause it's using EntityOrder infrontofeverythingelse.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#9]
I've posted this a million times before, but someone might find it useful:
http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/love_your_z_buffer.html
..really shows you why z-buffer is such a big problem with close distances.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#10]
^^ Yep. Should be compulsory reading. Although, I'm sure jfk knows all about this, already. :)