Anyone here using that JV_ODE?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Anyone here using that JV_ODE?

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2007) [#1]
I just bought this. I'm trying to figure my way around the thing. I don't really know how to use the ODE stuff really at all. I've run into some problems and I'm not sure what the solutions is.

I want to make a space combat game that works just like the old star control. I want to use ODE to do the ship movements. I want to use this because I want to have debris that can bounce off the players ship just like in the original.

The problem I'm having is that it seems that the forces functions don't work, or at least don't work for me, when the gravity is set to zero.

Anyone know how to remady this?

ervin(Posted 2007) [#2]
I'm just about to start learning it as well, so I can't help you just yet, but try the JV-ODE thread in the userlibs forum.

(Blitz3D Userlibs -> JV-ODE Physics Thread 8)
It's one of the busiest threads, and you're bound to get the help you need.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#3]
There is a pdf which is soooooo good - it tells you most everything you need to start using JV-ODE.

It does not go into great details but what it does is excellent.

Let me see if I can find it [edit] I couldnt so I put it on my website for you. I hope that's okay. Ignore the tokamak references.

www.smartscreenuk.com/ode_for_newbies.pdf

www.smartscreenuk.com/ode-latest-userguide.pdf

IPete2.

VIP3R(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks for posting the tute IPete2, I haven't been able to find it lately (the website was giving 404 errors).

Anyone using the above tute should note that it uses the wrong name for the include file in the 'First Code' section...

Include "ode.bb"

It should be...

Include "JV-ODE.bb"

I wonder what happened to the tute author Dave/Shifty Geezer, haven't seen him around for ages?

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#5]
My pleasure Jim,

I forgot about that incorrect include, thanks for pointing that out.

Not seen Shifty Geezer for 'yonks' and there does seem to be a lot of new people here, so hopefully anyone thinking about ODE or physics in general will consider your excellent work.

IPete2.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#6]
You know, you don't NEED jv-ode for this- use collision normals instead!

I did it this way in my old Supernova demo. stuff would bounce off walls and large ships. ODE would certainly use up more CPU power than you'd need to in this instance.

saying that, JV-ODE is a great bit of software :)

hmm, Actually, thinking about this, ODE might not be a bad choice since getting moving collisions working in plain blitz is a pain.. :)