DirectX 9.0 Library ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/DirectX 9.0 Library ?

ala_samodi(Posted 2007) [#1]
I don't know much about using DLL with Blitz3D ? , Can I create a full engine for DirectX 9.0 (i.e: engine.dll) and using it with blitz3D ? or it will be very slow ?

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#2]
no it will be very fast.
but you have to do dlls with c++ which is not easy.
i dont know how to!
there was a tutorials a month ago - cant remember where...

LAB[au](Posted 2007) [#3]
You will have to write your own DX9 functions for all images,texture,entities,camera Blitz3D functions which is not a simple job ... or you will have to "hack" pointer/memory structure of Blitz images/textures/models/cameras so you can access it. It is terrible/serious job and would involve some "hacking" for sure!

It's possible ... but so unpractical compared to have Blitz research updating Blitz3D to DX9 (which will never happen I guess)

puki(Posted 2007) [#4]
Anyone who adds DX9 functionality to Blitz3D will make a lot of money. As long as they don't create their own version of Blitz3D.

What we need is some bright spark to incorporate DX9 into Blitz3D.

I will pay $50+ (USD) for this - and so will other people.

puki(Posted 2007) [#5]
Russian Blitzers apply here.

ala_samodi(Posted 2007) [#6]
thanx for replies , I can deal with DirectX 9.0 , but the big problem I face is pixel/vertix shaders. C++ is not a problem.

I think , I'll write a DirectX 9.0 engine for Blitz3D without Hacking any pointer/memory structure of Blitz images/textures/models/cameras .

I can Do it . but it will take time.

Now, I study shaders , so I can deal with them very will .

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hi,
I will pay another $50+ for this, as puki, without any doubt.
and I'm sure a lot of people more will pay for this.

regards!

LAB[au](Posted 2007) [#8]
I would pay $50+ IF and only IF

- it is supported/updated OR the sourcecode is available and clean.
- it is usable (I know ... this is purely arbitrary) with and without shaders.

xmlspy(Posted 2007) [#9]
i would pay for it too

puki(Posted 2007) [#10]
Any progress on this? I mean, it's been a day. Must be something to report?

puki(Posted 2007) [#11]
In fact, how long is this going to take?

June/July is fine by me. Nice little summer release.

xmlspy(Posted 2007) [#12]
There's this one:
http://www.amt-lab.com/forum/topic.php?forum=20&topic=1

trb(Posted 2007) [#13]
I'd pay too, add me to the list. Puki should large his offer up a bit to promote a quicker release, though.

ala_samodi(Posted 2007) [#14]
hi ;

thanks for replies and offers, I can Create an engine by Directx 9.0 in 90 Days Maximum. But I wont to create a unique engine. that is; a full featured engine.

I will create functions like Blitz3D functions:

instead of :
object = loadanimmesh("filename",parent)

it will be :
object = loadXanimmesh("filename",parent)
OR
loadXanimmesh(objnum,"filename",parent)

coding in progress ...

I want the first release to be nice.

I will release the first demo in four weeks.

I have exams this week. so the work on engine is really slow.

finished untill now :

note : " 2D functions not coded yet..."

3D :

1- create primitives ( cube , cylinder , sphere ... )
2- create cameras .
3- create lights.
4- creating/loading textures.( several formats ... )
5- loading .X file format .
and much more

soon I will release the full features ( four weeks maximum) with a small Demo.

Note : " The Full Engine is Ready ( Coded in c++ language ), now I only have to Convert it to DLL"

bye now

regards !

ala_samodi(Posted 2007) [#15]
hi ;

thanks for replies and offers, I can Create an engine by Directx 9.0 in 90 Days Maximum. But I wont to create a unique engine. that is; a full featured engine.

I will create functions like Blitz3D functions:

instead of :
object = loadanimmesh("filename",parent)

it will be :
object = loadXanimmesh("filename",parent)
OR
loadXanimmesh(objnum,"filename",parent)

coding in progress ...

I want the first release to be nice.

I will release the first demo in four weeks.

I have exams this week. so the work on engine is really slow.

finished untill now :

note : " 2D functions not coded yet..."

3D :

1- create primitives ( cube , cylinder , sphere ... )
2- create cameras .
3- create lights.
4- creating/loading textures.( several formats ... )
5- loading .X file format .
and much more

soon I will release the full features ( four weeks maximum) with a small Demo.

Note : " The Full Engine is Ready ( Coded in c++ language ), now I only have to Convert it to DLL"

bye now

regards !

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#16]
3 months for DX9 engine? Ready for use in B3D? mmm..Im that pray you are not joking..

Danny(Posted 2007) [#17]
Same here!

Go for it man! You're making it sound simpler than I'm guessing it is, but if you need any drinks or snacks, just ring the bell!

Although I'd be curious to know 'what would be left' of Blitz3D if you actually manage to pull this off? Maybe you might as well just write a basic compiler for your engine and be done with it?!

D.

puki(Posted 2007) [#18]
One of the things I most want in Blitz3D is a much better lighting system. Plus I want a decent occlusion system too.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#19]
Why not make it free?

:-)

puki(Posted 2007) [#20]
Mmm, I'll think about a third requirement then.

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#21]
There will be a kind of "wishlist" or "ideas"?
Go for it!! I hope to be the first buyer!
best regards and good luck!!!!

ala_samodi(Posted 2007) [#22]
ok , many things done.

Soon I will Write Worklog

may be after one hour , may be less .

[Danny] : I can't write compilers .

check worklogs as soon as you can .

regards.

Synchronist(Posted 2007) [#23]
Ok, it's been a month since the last post on this subject...

Any progress?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#24]
don't forget you have to integrate 3D sound as well not only some funny mesh stuff as the 3d sound is bound to the entity handling system.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#25]
..as i said before, I hardly doubt that this thing will see light of the day...

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#26]
me too.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#27]
Minor quibble - the worklog says it will run on Win95 and Win98 despite the fact that neither of those operating systems are compatible with DirectX9 (or 8.1 in the case of 95) although perhaps he'll emulate the DirectX9 effects for those systems ;)

popcade(Posted 2007) [#28]
If you can make a DX9 engine yourself, you'd probably don't need Blitz3D anymore....

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#29]
don't forget you have to integrate 3D sound as well not only some funny mesh stuff as the 3d sound is bound to the entity handling system.

No it isn't. While some might prefer to have it done that way, there is absolutely no necessity for sounds to be bound into your entity system. Moreover, it makes your code considerably less portable if it is, so it could very easily be a bad thing.

Mattizzle(Posted 2007) [#30]
Well... if this person actually was serious in the beginning, I'd hate to see this project get dropped. It's a shame that Blitz3D was ever dropped too... I would pay for the whole program again if the owner would update and optimize (if there's anything left to optimize) it to the current year! But I guess bMax will take over the world... oh well.

Synchronist(Posted 2007) [#31]
I would pay for the whole program again if the owner would update and optimize (if there's anything left to optimize) it to the current year! But I guess bMax will take over the world...

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it... B3D was a great product...

ala_samodi(Posted 2007) [#32]
Hi;

Thanks every one for any thing you write.

Iam Creating the engine, not only for the users of Blitz3D, but also for me, to prove that I can handle that.so when I said I'll Create DirectX9.0 Engine for Blitz3D, I mean that .

and you have to know that Engine will be ready to be used with Blitz3D in two months.I know , you want to see any proof for that .but I decided to release a FULL Engine.

For Sound, I can create sound system only for .wav file format, but if "mark" convert the command
emitsound soundhandle,entity
to
emitsound soundhandle,x#,y#,z#
then we are done.

for win95,98 : Iam sorry, I didn't know they didn't support directX 9.0 .

Note :- the Engine is not free.[60$ - 80$]
- my friend (OpenGL Programmer) Creates
OpenGl Engine for Blitz3D.[60$]

ala_samodi(Posted 2007) [#33]
Hi;

Iam Creating the engine, not only for the users of Blitz3D, but also for me, to prove that I can handle that.so when I said I'll Create DirectX9.0 Engine for Blitz3D, I mean that .

and you have to know that Engine will be ready to be used with Blitz3D in two months.I know , you want to see any proof for that .but I decided to release a FULL Engine.

For Sound, I can create sound system only for .wav file format, but if "mark" convert the command
to
then we are done.

ala_samodi(Posted 2007) [#34]
Hi;

to
then we are done.

Synchronist(Posted 2007) [#35]
Ok, looks like a case of "wait and see"...

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#36]
Hi!
seems very promising!
I hope to spend my money on it if it does things that Blitz doesn't. :)

All the best!

xmlspy(Posted 2007) [#37]
Excelent news!

Mattizzle(Posted 2007) [#38]
Yay!!! he's alive! That is good reassurance that this project is not abandoned. Perhaps posting on this forum or a workblog with your progress will increase your project's popularity and assure the community that this will be something to save up for.

I am still stunned that someone is really doing what the dreams of Blitz3D fell short of. This could possibly be one of the greatest user achievements of the whole Blitz community. (IMHO)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#39]
**soon I will release the full features ( four weeks maximum) with a small Demo.

bye now**

this is post 1 month ago...no offense here buddy, but you are talking about wrapping whole Dx9 over B3D and all that within 2 months?? And can we see this small demo??

ala_samodi(Posted 2007) [#40]
"Naughty Alien"
many people write reports about their projects.
and in the End there is no hope that their projects will be alive someday, or it will be used by the other.

I swear in God,

D3D.XAGN Engine(my engine) will have features of Blitz3D,and DarkBasic Pro and more.

but according to the Sound System, I don't know.

please just wait and you will see.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#41]
..okay..i am sorry if i sound 'rude', but I wasnt actually...Im just getting bored from 'Ant syndrome'..thats all..

AdrianT(Posted 2007) [#42]
hmmm, there is much more involved in a good DX9 renderer than just DX9 support. Having used Ogre for a while, I have been really blown away by the low level systems and optimizations that give it its true power.

That and the fact that the B3D format itself is incredibly limited in the materials department even with it's most minimal fixed function material support. (shaders aren't always the best solution).

I don't see much future in B3D for next gen graphics, its great for simple casual games that have to run on low spec systems though.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#43]
In my oppinion, a DX9 wrapper won't really improve the visual side of B3D, but it will allow it to live longer.

We've been getting DX9 level graphics out of blitz for some time now with various DLLs and such that are available. You will need a well optimised renderer and good integration of shaders, and other techniques, to use it well.

For instance i've seen libraries that use multi-pass rendering on everything to do multi-texturing (like blitz does if you go over 4 layers?). Not that you'd do that in this engine haha.

Ogre has gotten things right. Once you've used it for a while its quite a dream. Things just...work... shadows just work, Shaders work...

I think wrapping a well received and known 3D engine will achieve better results than wrapping DX9.

Still, continue with this. Bringing Blitz3D up to DX9 will extend its life and of course gives people more to play with. I'm eager to see what you come up with :)

thelizardking(Posted 2007) [#44]
oh and add some built-in shadow FX too - devil's shadow system is awsome, but it doesnt support b3d :(

chi(Posted 2007) [#45]
maybe you wanna look at this: http://www.dreamotion3d.com

its a dx9 engine (first beta) and hopefully soon available for Blitz3d. but you can test it using blitzmax, purebasic, c/c++ ;-)

cheers, chi

Tim(Posted 2007) [#46]
hey chi, dreamotion3d sounds really good, anybody tested it?
the features are just great.. i will test it if i have time to

chi(Posted 2007) [#47]
tested it yesterday with pb... for the first beta release its working very very well! but the docs arenīt finished yet unless you understand french. canīt wait to see the first full release...

Tim(Posted 2007) [#48]
yeah me too, its really easy and just great, there are some commands missing but looking forward, too

JA2(Posted 2007) [#49]
Is there any news on this?

Xzider(Posted 2007) [#50]
Sounds great, any updates?

_33(Posted 2007) [#51]
I'll believe it when I see it.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#52]
I dont belive it at all...as I said in my all previous posts..I mean, guy talking about whole DX9 wrapped around B3D within 2-3 months?? C'mon...every 'Demo' schedule he said , never happen...

JA2(Posted 2007) [#53]
Well thats very encouraging...

_33(Posted 2007) [#54]
In this thread, he said "in 50-60 days". So it still leaves him a solid 30 days... I have no clue wether he is full of it, or what. There are absolutely no screenshots of what he's doing, just some promises.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=68846#770402

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#55]
just hot air, nothing else.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#56]
I see no reason to doubt the author of this thread, and I certainly don't see the need for such reamarks as

I dont belive it at all

just hot air, nothing else.

If you have nothing useful/constructive to post then don't bother posting at all. There is no need to try and discourage someone for attempting to do something that you yourselves are not capable of...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#57]
ok..I am sorry for my post and I hope that you will very soon be able to do your first game, full of DX9 shine based on this 'upcoming' B3D extension...

JA2(Posted 2007) [#58]
First game? I have made over a dozen games since I started programming. I'm currently working on two games, one of which would greatly benefit from DX9 features.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#59]
I said 'first' based on this nice DX9 upgrade..not first in your coding experiance..

Ricky Smith(Posted 2007) [#60]

I see no reason to doubt the author of this thread

I can see quite a few. Vast oversimplification and underestimation of the time and effort involved for something like this would be the main one.
Quite happy to be proven wrong though :)

OJay(Posted 2007) [#61]
I can see quite a few

me too :)

e.g. in his worklog he states:
B- the Engine can be used with Blitz3D under NT, 2000,xp.

now if he would have got the knowledge to write such an engine, wouldnt he know that windows NT never got more than DX3.0?

well, lets wait and see..."whent its done (if its done)" ^_^

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#62]
yeah, sorry but this guy is just trying to get your hopes up in my opinion. The complexity of this whole thing. I mean.. Its equally as easy to make a basic parser and just market your own blitz3d... though coding an ide would be a project in and of itself. Regardless, there is a reason I use blitz. I tried .net framework and direct x 8 back in the day. Man was not not pretty and such a headache. For ease of use and speed blitz the way it is, is well.. wonderful. Honestly, what do you need direct x 9 compatibility for anyways? So some things look nicer... honestly I cant think of a single Xbox360 title I would rather play over any of the great SNES titles. Its about presentation and gameplay the experience in a whole. You get two people in a room with space invaders and eventually you'll find yourselves playing it for a while out of sheer competition. Ask yourself where the pixel shaders are, lmao ask yourself where the second color is at ;) If you cats make a final product, just move your content and port your code to a real engine if you NEED those effects. Just a thought...

_33(Posted 2007) [#63]
honestly I cant think of a single Xbox360 title I would rather play over any of the great SNES titles. Its about presentation and gameplay the experience in a whole.

Agreed. Still, I prefer to have a full set of 3D possibilities for my dev projects simply because it opens the horizons a lot more than , say 2D graphics only, or simplified 3D. If you have, say, the possibility to perform shadowing without you having to make a "make believe" shadow model, I think then, the whole project will benefit. This, simply because you won't even have to bother about how the shadow should look from a design perspective, the 3D engine will give you the go. It's the same thing with some displacement mapping / shaders, and various additions to the recent 3D engine toolset. If you have bump mapping, then you don't have to design your texture for bumps, but make a bumpmap. If you have specular lighting, then you don't have to design your texture for highlights and stuff, but you do a specular light map. etc etc etc... It's all about facilitating the job of the designer / artist and broaden your horizons.

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#64]
Nah, its all bells and whistles. Consider our "indie" games to be cattle... no matter how much makeup you throw on the cow its still and cow, and with our facilities in the blitz biz thats all we are doing is presenting cows with makeup haha. let ID software and Valve do the breath taking stuff. Think about it. Even if we COULD do what they do, they will always have the money and means to do it better and faster and prettier. And naturally none of us will be published under a big time contract no matter what we do. Thats the whole point of indie games in my opinion. If you play your game without shadows and bumpmapping for more than 10 mins then you wont even notice, nor know what it is or how it could have improved your game. Get a good game play setup, let the players imerse themselves in the game, not the glammor and sparkles. Thats what most games now a days seem to be... pretty.. thats it... first person shooting pretty. AND like I said... if you design all of your content to work under dx 7 and it looks like crap, but the game play is great, the ideas are worthy and the thing is addictive.. then port it to a real engine and use the same content... at that point all you'd have to do is make displacement bump specular and normal maps.. the rest of the work is done from before ;)

KimoTech(Posted 2007) [#65]
Hi all!
i was glad to hear, that people want a new Blitz3D with DX9. I am through with a 'minib3d' like engine in c++, and uses the old great command set from Blitz3D. I have been developing on it in a year now.
Shaders is working out now, and vertex weighted hardware skinning for boned animations is also working fine .. ;)

Panno(Posted 2007) [#66]
let us see

Synchronist(Posted 2007) [#67]
The new DX9 library appears to be vaporware... I'm really not surprised...

[EDITED]

GrumpyOldMan(Posted 2007) [#68]
Hi Qimmer

Even if you just get the shaders and especially the hardware mesh skinning working that would be great. The software method I came up with is alright but with hardware support we can see some great new games coming out.

Keep up the good work.

GrumpyOldMan

puki(Posted 2007) [#69]
In fairness, there are 3 or 4 DX9 libraries in development for B3D. It seems all authors are hitting little niggly snags along the way.

Hower, the race is still on for the first one to be released.

puki(Posted 2007) [#70]
These are the latest Russian versions:

Full version:
http://yavgroup.ru/b3d_dx9/b3d_dx9.exe

Update:
http://yavgroup.ru/b3d_dx9/b3d_dx9_up.rar

Not sure of stability - not tried them yet.

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#71]
Puki, given the games you've played, and your own involvement in 3D, I would imagine that your standards would be pretty high when judging these things. So do please let us know what you make of them, standards, ease-of-use, problems, etc. Cheers.

TheSin(Posted 2007) [#72]
This is quite cool, anyone else tested it, what are your views. Im really interested.

puki(Posted 2007) [#73]
I dabbled with it a month or so ago - it is far from finished.

Here is another one - this one is intending DX9 for Blitz3D - possibly DX10:
http://www.dreamotion3d.com/news.php

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#74]
Have you ever seen a picture from this on B3D?

GrumpyOldMan(Posted 2007) [#75]
Hi Puki

Thanks for the heads up on the Russian effort on the dx9 lib. I had a look through it and most of the normal graphic functions are covered as are shaders. The biggest hole is shadows, which must be still being worked on.

I've played with Dreamotion3d on Purebasic and I'll try it out when they get it ready for Blitz3d.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#76]
this is good. but i wont buy this yet. you have to implement more shaders and at least one kind of shadows.

_33(Posted 2007) [#77]
Here's a Direct X 9 engine that seems to work, by a Russian gentlemen named Knightmare :D. It's the same as what Puki posted but it's fairly recent (mid August build dates).

Main Russian thread: http://blitz.pp.ru/forum/showthread.php?s=0b6a4ad35034326d3cd4f8b643c8c6e5&threadid=2065&perpage=40&highlight=&pagenumber=1

This newer version supports shadow mapping, dot3, cell shading, cubemap, specular bump mapping, terrain, post process effects, and some more... You can even use your pixel and vertex shader code :)

Check out the DECLS file for a nice surprize! Most if not all of the regular Blitz3D instructions are there to perform 3D operations and deal with graphics.

I'm not using it yet, but most of the examples seem to work. I specially like the shadow example as it is really nice! I suppose that when it's completed, it will be announced, I hope!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#78]
this is what I am looking for!..man Old good B3D is now really ass kicker again....but it seems that it is time limited (regarding some demos)...is this for purchase or what?? I dont understand russian..

_33(Posted 2007) [#79]
I think it's not yet ready for purchase. I suppose it will be announced when it's completed and ready to be sold. I suppose this is a demo version for bug finding and stuff. I found some bugs in it myself.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#80]
Knighmares engine is very nice I like the shadow map demo. seams nice and easy to use. i love to know some detail if anyone can read russian here?

puki(Posted 2007) [#81]
I can generally understand their blurb.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#82]
OMG!! cool!!

good .b3D import (not as blitz3D.. but i think that this Dx9 lib is second only at Blitz3D in .b3D importing), average fast (cool army.bb), finally antialiasing!! waiting for final (?what, when?) release.

here a screen of a .b3D in this Dx9lib:

it's not good as B3D for cubemaps, but look antialias!! :O

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#83]
Surely cubemaps should be as good if not better? Or is it just a difference in loading/handling of the B3D?

puki(Posted 2007) [#84]
The Russian effort - as with the other DX9 for Blitz3D contenders - is far from finished.

_33(Posted 2007) [#85]
I think the U V coordinates of the cubemaps are wrong (?).

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#86]
the uv coordinates of the cubemap? when its that what i think you mean: thats normal, that the uv coordinates look stretched when you view the mesh from the near... its like that in all games i know

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#87]
yes cubemaps seems different between Blitz3D 'standard' and this Dx9 lib: here seems to be 'smaller' , with higher X-Y wrap frequency.

that is the same b3D in Blitz3D:

looks cubemaps difference in red Floor or in brown wall surfaces!

I'll try to scale the mesh to see if something change (also in b3D scale, rotation and position make some differences in cubemap render)

... or Dx9 Lib's Cubemap, want a "-|--" texture format?

_33(Posted 2007) [#88]
z4g0, try Knightmare's new update:
http://yavgroup.ru/b3d_dx9/b3d_dx9_up.rar

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#89]
Wow this new version appears to have collisions according to the decls... I think Knightmare is on it. A few bug fixes and a couple more commands to replicate Blitz3d, and it seems like its ready for a good beta test anyways... Im sure a lot of users would certainly shell out some cash for this. Speaking of which, are these public files going around?

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#90]
z4g0, try Knightmare's new update:
yavgroup.ru/b3d_dx9/b3d_dx9_up.rar

mmm.. seems not fixed yet :(,

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#91]
Wow this new version appears to have collisions according to the decls

Is it a port or rewrite of blitz collisions I wonder. And if it's a rewrite, I wonder if it's faster?

Likewise, is DX9 faster to render then DX7?

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#92]
Did anyone have any luck with this new version? I get "User lib not found" if I copy both the new decls and the new .dll files into my userlib folder. However, if I use the old DLL with new DECLS it seems that functions no longer support overloading. For example DX9_CreateCamera() will not work as it requires the parent cast onto it. Also it appears that the DLL_DX9_COMMAND references in the B3d_DX9.bb are no longer needed with *some* commands, however a few still use it. So yeah, basically I cannot get this new version work, which is a shame as I really wanted to see how the collisions functioned. Kudos to Knightmare though this is some amazing work.

_33(Posted 2007) [#93]
The DLL needs to go in the Blitz bin dir.

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#94]
Ok well I copied it to the bin folder(always used the userlibs one before just fine) and have the same effect "user lib not found". The previous version was fine copying everything into the user libs. Where do you have all the files? And what version of the linker/compiler are you running?

b32(Posted 2007) [#95]
I have sort-of the same problem. I get the runtime error 'userlib function not found' on a number of DX9 commands, such as DX9_apptitle, DX9_apphwnd, DLL_DX9_EntityX. I am running 1.99, but also with 1.98, it doesn't work.

gameproducer(Posted 2007) [#96]
Looks really nice... who are the guys who are doing this? (Any English information - website or something?)

b32(Posted 2007) [#97]
Aha .. I see .. in the \bin directory .. missed that the first time. It runs now, however I have another error 'can't create depth stencil surface'.

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#98]
Is that c:\program files\blitz3d\bin
or c:\program files\blitz3d\userlibs\bin

?

After some playing around copying those dll's around and putting the decls in the userlibs folder I still CAN NOT get the new version to work.

gameproducer(Posted 2007) [#99]
One very basic question... could somebody explain what this DX9 project basically means? I mean... can you still use some Blitz3D commands - or is it all DX9? If you use only DX9 commands... then what's the point having Blitz3D in the first place? (besides the syntax).

What about blitz libraries and other 3rd party .decls stuff - will additional stuff be working with this DX9 thing? (For example: networking libraries or terrain editors or whatever).

Somebody clear this please :)

Oh, and I would pay $$$ for this DX9 too, if it's done properly.

---

P.S. I was wondering if this thread should be stickied? Looks to me "DX9 in Blitz" is something lots of developers here are after...

b32(Posted 2007) [#100]
I copied all the files in the blitz3ddx9\bin folder to
c:\program files\blitz3d\bin, "blitz3ddx9" being the "c:\program files" folder that contains the installed dx9 stuff.
And the files in the blitz3ddx9\userlibs folder to c:\program files\blitz3d\userlibs

@GP If you are using the dx9 lib, you can't use any of the blitz3d 3d-related commands, because it is a different engine. And come to think of it, I don't think you can use any 2d commands either.

gameproducer(Posted 2007) [#101]
b32: What's the point using Blitz3D+DX9 then in the first place? There are ready made DX9 already :)

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#102]
Knightmare is just expanding blitz's graphics abilities. I guess in theory when this project is finished you can add DX9_ infront of any blitz graphics command, and have a (in some cases) better looking and faster result than the internal blitz graphics. If he does this correctly, you can port your code in mere minutes to something that is a little less "1998" standard for graphics :) Personally im content with blitz3d as is, but this is certainly looking like a nice improvement.

Chapman7(Posted 2007) [#103]
I can not get this to work. It keeps saying "Userlib Not Found" I have put everything everywhere I could think of.

_33(Posted 2007) [#104]

Knightmare mentionned that many bugs were killed in a carnage and that now there is also a C++ version of the engine available:

http://yavgroup.ru/b3d_dx9/xors3d.exe

So, since the last time it was posted here, about 5 updates went. I suppose many things got fixed / improved. I saw a couple new demo examples with cubic map water (reflection + refraction) and other very nice stuff in terms of speed boost and efficiency enhancements.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#105]
finished you can add DX9_ infront of any blitz graphics command, and have a (in some cases) better looking and faster result than the internal blitz graphics

I'd be up for that(!) - as long as the trickier details of blitz (e.g. animation, collision, multi-texturing) match up and it doesn't introduce bugs.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#106]
Any news on this? I've just tried Knightmare's updated samples and they're very tasty.

Danny(Posted 2007) [#107]
I can't get these things to work either :(

Lots of functions need to be renamed from DX9_xx to DLL_DX9_xx etc, user-libs-not found, what's going on?
Do you need to install that XORS3D.exe as well ???
Decls, and .bb samples don't seem to be matching up :(

Azaratur(Posted 2007) [#108]
How many time it will take this project?

Doiron(Posted 2007) [#109]
I can't get these things to work either :(

Lots of functions need to be renamed from DX9_xx to DLL_DX9_xx etc, user-libs-not found, what's going on?
Do you need to install that XORS3D.exe as well ???
Decls, and .bb samples don't seem to be matching up :(

The simple route is to use the installer (http://yavgroup.ru/b3d_dx9/b3d_dx9.exe) and point it to Blitz3D's directory: it will put everything in the right folders, without the need to tweak anything else.
XORS3D.exe is not needed (I didn't install it and all the samples worked).

Filax(Posted 2007) [#110]
Impressive DLL :) do you think that possible to work with
blitzmax ?

_33(Posted 2007) [#111]
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fblitz.pp.ru%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Fs%3D2ae446b681782ac320fd64c4d6b6a65d%26threadid%3D2065%26perpage%3D40%26highlight%3D%26pagenumber%3D19&langpair=ru%7Cen&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

Updates to the engine (twice) :
- Added alpha masks, and fixed some blending options
- Fixed some things when loading B3D models (with LOD)

Can't figure out the rest of the things that got changed or added... (I'm not too good in Russian)

http://yavgroup.ru/b3d_dx9/b3d_dx9.exe DX9 engine
http://yavgroup.ru/b3d_dx9/b3d_dx9_up.rar update only
http://yavgroup.ru/b3d_dx9/xors3d.exe C++ version of the same engine

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#112]
What versions of blitz is everyone using with this? After copying the required dlls to 100 million different places(including sys32) i was able to get that last demo to work with version 1.6 of blitz, I updated to 1.9(which still says 1.8 in the about window?) and since tried to install this demo... yet again "user lib not found"... im not an idiot, Im a systems administrator for christ sakes... but I cant for the life of me figure out what causes this user lib to fail. Any ideas?

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#113]
Well leave it to me to solve things right after I asked the question. It would seem that the problem was caused by the file "D3DX9_30.dll" being missing. http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9_30
I downloaded the file from that site, and now this thing fails on a the xrenderworld function call. Lovely. Perhaps I should play games more, or atleast keep my dx9 up to date. :) So if anyone else has problems with this, make sure you download ALL of the d3d data librarys, and not just the dev one for C# and XNA like I did :)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#114]
you don't need to download this single DLL
Run the DXWebInstaller from the microsoft page. That will install all DX9.0c runtime dlls (about 15)

Azaratur(Posted 2007) [#115]
No news?

_33(Posted 2007) [#116]
Latest version is here (nov. 9th):
http://rubux.net/downloads/b3d_dx9.exe

It seems Render is taking care of the development since maybe a month now. Apparently this version here is the most stable one with the least bugs.

C++ version of the engine (updated Nov. 10th) ;):
http://rubux.net/downloads/xors3d.rar

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#117]
So would using this give any speed increase in terms of vanilla rendering speed?

_33(Posted 2007) [#118]
Well we can't use it now in our projects because it's got an internal countdown routine. I suppose that when it will be finished, Render will put it up for sale besides his PhysX wrapper. Hopefully, the DX9 engine will also be available for BlitzMax!

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#119]
Well, if Render does as good a job as he's done on the PhysX wrapper, I'll be up for it.

Might do a couple of rendering speed tests tonight - blitz3d vs this wrapper.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#120]
Hmm - some rough tests do seem to indicate speedier rendering.
1000 untextured spheres (copyentity not used) gives about 70fps vs 40fps with Blitz's native rendering.

Doesn't seem to be loading meshes with multitextured surfaces correctly though - will do a bit more testing...

Tab(Posted 2007) [#121]

A little test with terrains...

Tested in my GF7600GS.

_33(Posted 2007) [#122]
Well from what I read, apparently Render has improved the engine by using SSE instructions for matrix calculations! So basically, it makes those about 8 times faster than not using SSE! So that should explain the speed.

And a BlitzMax version:
http://rubux.net/downloads/Xors3d_BM.rar
:o

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#123]
Yes, its speed is really stunning (to see it you might need to modify the graphics command and initialize it with width,height,depth,0,0 to disable vsync ... even my crappy 7600go (7300gt modify) is able to blow out lots of FPS in the shadow demo ...

sad that it is a 3min limited one ...

Out of my recent tests, its definitely the most interesting engine.
Dreamotion is nice if you plan to use MD models but as they still have no bone animation support (how many versions have passed since it was initially mentioned to be in the next version? :) ) its just not up to be usable at the moment ...

_33(Posted 2007) [#124]
Yes, its speed is really stunning (to see it you might need to modify the graphics command and initialize it with width,height,depth,0,0 to disable vsync ... even my crappy 7600go (7300gt modify) is able to blow out lots of FPS in the shadow demo ...

I get 325 fps on the shadowmap demo with vsync disabled on my modded X800GTO2! 16K tris...

Azaratur(Posted 2007) [#125]
Where i can find some news on this project.. Like you i wait it so much!

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#126]
something this guy started in this thread is crap..real Dx9 stuff for B3D you can find here http://rubux.net

Kippykip(Posted 2013) [#127]
Anyone still got the DX9 files?
Wayback machine doesn't have them...
:c

Rick Nasher(Posted 2013) [#128]
Be a little patient and Ploppy will get you a much nicer free DX9: Blitz Hardwired.
And if you don't mind the learning curve Blitz Irrlicht (DX9/OpenGL) by AquaLung is a very good contender too.

These are exiting times..