Mesh editor.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Mesh editor.

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hey guys,

I am trying to make a very basic mesh editor. 4 Panels... 3 of which use 2d graphics to drag and drop vertexes in 2d space and select vertexes to create triangles. very basic.. but im curious if anything is out there for this. like using 2d graphics vertex placement of front top and side views and a 3d view of the model thus far. Also any easy info on simple uv maps and scaling/repeating?

Thanks,
Scott

Matty(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hello Scott,

There are plenty of apps out there that do this (ie have multiple viewports some of which are orthographic and others which are perspective) - most 3d modeling tools will have this such as simple ones like Milkshape. If you are asking whether there are apps like this written in blitz3d then I don't know. Although there is no reason why there couldn't be. Perhaps in the toolbox there may be some.

Can't help you with the uv maps, although planar mapping is pretty easy to perform. Simply pick your plane by positioning a camera at the appropriate location and project a texture onto your object. Some code in the code archives which does this is here:

http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1000

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#3]
I have made the "Csp Image Modeller" long time ago, see here:
http://krokant.tripod.com/cyberskunkpictures/id5.html
(some ad popups) Scroll to CSP Image Modeller.
It's a nice concept, although today I would add a third top view, as well as , zoom in, textures etc.

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#4]
Matty, I own very high end 3d modeling apps, this is not the point haha. Im trying to make a very simple model editor, and while I dont believe it would be difficult, I was just trying to avoid reinventing the wheel. Thanks though for the texture projecting, lmao, shows how much ive delt with that... just what I was looking for.

JFK, Yes youre modeller is pretty close to what im looking for. Care to give out the source?

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2007) [#5]
I have a question, JFK. Can you make it Opensource?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
I'm not sure where the source is :) Maybe somewhere over there, under tons of CDs and DVDs. If I see it some day, I'll release the source. Although, it's trivial stuff and you'll make it better. It's also fun, eg. the MakeTriangle Mode where you have to select 3 vertices, using a rubberband.