PickedNX question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/PickedNX question

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#1]
If I have a shaded terrain with shady areas and bright areas, I wanted to use EntityColor to darken the grass quads on the shady places. I was using PickedNX etc. to determine if a grass quad should be shaded. I suspect I'm doing something wrong here, maybe somebody can help me? What I do right now is:

pnx#=pickednx()
pnz#=pickednz()

pn_shade#=(pnx-pnz)-.2

if pn_shade<0 then
 shade=255.0-(pn_shade*128.0)
 limit shade to 0 to 255
 use shade for rgb of entitycolor
else
 shade=255
endif

I have that vague guess I rather should use Atan2 with pnx and pnz or so, then add the light yaw as an offset and see if the angle is within a certain range, any ideas?

Matty(Posted 2007) [#2]
Could you do something like this perhaps?

get the pickednx,ny,nz as usual.

Perform a dot product between the picked normal vector and the vector from light source to your point on the terrain. This will allow you to find the angle between the two vectors quite simply.

Depending upon the angle you can then brighten/shade accordingly.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks. the dot product may be a furter step. Currently I got to learn how to get the "yaw angle" from pickednx and pickednz. It's more like I'm kind of "unfamilar" with PickedNX :o)

EDIT basicly my question is: how to determine a normals brightness using pickedNXYZ, asssuming there's a light rotated something like 30,0,0.

b32(Posted 2007) [#4]
Have you tried VectorYaw()?

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#5]
Just using vectoryaw won't give you the correct information. As Matty suggests, something like this will work. I'm pretty sure LdotN will be between 0.0 and 1.0 if > 0.

tformnormal 0,0,1,LIGHT, 1
Lx# = tformedx()
Ly# = tformedy()
Lz# = tformedz()
LdotN# = Lx * PickedNx() + Ly * PickedNy() + Lz * PickedNz()
If LdotN > 0
   Shade# = 255.0 * LdotN
else
   Shade# = 0
Endif

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks a lot. For some reason I still can't make this work as desired. It kind of works, but then again there are some places where it's lit wrong, for no obvious reason, as if PickedNX returned fancy values.

The sooner or later I'm gonna fix this. Just got to set up an isolated test enviroment, using a simple lit sphere and some linepicks from above it.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#7]
How about another approach? If this isn't dynamic, and is only to be done once, why not do line picks from the lights location, to the entity, making sure the terrain has a pickmode. If you PickedEntity() is the grass quad, then you know not to shade it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#8]
Wow, that's a great idea, it will even include simple lightmapping for the trees and things. One problem: shading of meshes is smoother than these one level shades. Maybe we could use several pivots with an offset to obtain the amount of reflection.

And how about a 3d grid with light info, so a character can be darkened when he's walking in the shade? Could easily be modified to sneak-in-the-dark stuff.

Edit - uh, when the light is a directional one (as sunlight usually is) the the method must be modified lightly. Instead of the light position, a fixed xyz offset must be used, that is calcualted from the "sun" rotation.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#9]
After all I went back to the initial guess, using Atan2 with nx and nz, add the light yaw and wrap in 360. Get the amount of "shadyness", eg, by using SIN with the angle, then multiply it with ny. Only thing that was consufing was: in one test with a sphere PickedNX() returned values from 0.0 (flat) to 1.0 (steap), in an other app, it returned 1.0(flat) to 0.0(steap). Probably it was only a bug in my code somewhere.

Thanks for your help!