Need some help from Vista users.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Need some help from Vista users.

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#1]
Could anybody give me some words about if
the next stuff works ok under Vista?

1 - The "LoadFont" and "Text" commands (do you see notice
any slowdown when using "Text"?)
2 - Loading any images and draw them on screen with their
transparent pixels (mean masked pixels).
3 - The "SetGamma" and "UpdateGamma" commands.
4 - The "CopyRect" command.
5 - I can see you are saying it is not possible to save files in
the "Programs files" folder, so, Is it enough giving the user an
option to change the default folder for saving -Screenshots-,
-Saved games- and -Options- files?

Ok, that's all I remember right now, I'll post again if I have new questions
Paolo.

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#2]
Ive never messed with the load font command with vista... text works fine, copy rect is fine.. I mean.. I dont notice any difference... vista itself is SLLOOOOOOW with glass on.. but if you are full screen, its just like xp, runs at the same speed etc... I have my TV that I develop on.. its a 42in lcd tv with dvi input. My machine is a 2.0ghz with 2gb ram and a built in crappy intel video card. I was getting the same fps and everything with XP SP2, as I am now with the update to Vista ultimate. I just did it for the new media center really. Now dont get me wrong, I really do not like vista... a lot of my older apps crash, and drivers have issues, BUT as far as I can tell blitz 3d(I havent tested extrernal DLL's) 1.9 is stable and fine.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#3]
5. How about just following the specs MS tries to enforce for about 8 years? :)
Save to the own files as it is meant to be done. System Probs command will you return the path in question, so not much of work actually :) (the default configs can be saved in the same path for copy to own files folder)

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#4]

One more thing,
Does Vista still support 640x480x16 or is it 800x600 the lowest res?

Paolo.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#5]
i think userlibs will be an issue in windows vista, as discussed here: http://forum.devil-engines.net/viewtopic.php?t=11

generally, i would get vista when its finished. -no beta-

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#6]
generally, i would get vista when its finished. -no beta-

It's already finished. The RTM was a month or two ago.

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#7]
before i re-install my system again, i will check out vista and it's compability to blitz3d and co.

then i decide, whether to kkep it or whether to bury it

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#8]
Could anyone test if an already compiled blitz3D exe loads
external dlls?

The only one I'm using is Tokamak and I really need it ...

Paolo.

[Edit]
Here I have a ragdoll demo using Tokamak, PLEASE anyone test if it works under Vista:
http://www.geocities.com/eurypic/ragdoll.zip
(right click -> Save target as...)

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#9]
anyone please test this in Vista (?)

(700kb)
www.geocities.com/eurypic/ragdoll.zip
(right click -> Save target as...)

Paolo.

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#10]
It works at speed, just fine on vista ultimate.

You know, for someone who doesnt even have this operating system you sure are worried about it. You think people will just jump to vista instantly? I do IT work for a living, I support win2000 users on a daily basis. XP isnt going anywhere. People who upgrade to vista are morons anyways(like myself). The os interface itself is slow, window transitions etc, shit crashes and reloads its annoying.. but if you open an application like blitz its not going go be ANY DIFFERENT. there is the sluggish delay where vista does effects on the gui window loading initially thats all.. there is this slight stutter when running a blitz app... so like.. I donno slows down to 5 frames per second at startup for about 3 seconds then you never have any problems... and i think thats just vista pausing unused services. Stop worrying about whether or not an operating system that is still 2 + years off from standard will affect your project and actually finish the project. :)

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#11]
Thanks for those words VErt|g0
Yes, I'm a little bit worried about it,
it just makes me mad the idea of working so much on a game
to end up with something that doesn't run on up-to-date software/hardware ...

... and actually finish the project.
you are right about this ... :)

Paolo.