AntiAlias True

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/AntiAlias True

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#1]
..yeah, this is nice..but far as I know, many (well, today I should say ALL) graphics cards have slider within settings where I can set up antialias x2, 4, 4q, etc..so, is it possible to do this kind of setting from withing B3D if settings on graphics card is APPLICATION CONTROLLED enable?? If so, how?? AntiAlias builted in looks pretty poor..I mean, what value is that actually,once enabled in B3D, x2, x4,.. or??

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#2]
antialias in b3d did not work for me on all my computers since i own blitz ;(

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#3]
Blitz3D's anti-aliasing doesn't work and never has since I've owned it. It's enabled when you force it off on some cards, it's off when you force it on on some cards, it just doesn't do anything on most cards. Your best bet is to forget about it, just in case playing with it interferes with some drivers and causes a slowdown or a crash that you can't predict.

I reported this bug probably three years ago and had plenty of confirmations but it was always ignored. Last time I checked it hadn't had any reply at all from BRL and the last time I checked was about 2 years after I initially posted the bug report.

Make of that what you will. My best guess? They can't do anything about it even if they wanted to.

John Blackledge(Posted 2007) [#4]
I reported this bug probably three years ago and had plenty of confirmations but it was always ignored.

Same here.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#5]
Yep, many have. The problem would seem to be unsolveable, for whatever reason.

A simple driver update broke Antialiasing for me.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2007) [#6]
a shame that it doesn't work. with nowadays hardware, this would add quality with nearly no speed impact.

Mr Snidesmin(Posted 2007) [#7]
this would add quality

very true. I'm always wanting to use non-mipmapped textures for preserving detail but I'm often put off because of the lack of antialiasing.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#8]
I'm always wanting to use non-mipmapped textures for preserving detail but I'm often put off because of the lack of antialiasing.

Well then the lack of anti-aliasing is serving a good purpose after all. You don't want to do that. It's very bad for performance. Fillrate will kill your framerate at the best of times, and disabling mipmapping is a surefire way to achieve lots and lots of unnecessary fillrate.

Better to petition BRL to allow you to load your own mipmaps ( or test to see if they are automatically loaded if present in DDS textures now that they are supported ) because that would help you add detail and have less blurriness without having to disable mip-mapping.

Mr Snidesmin(Posted 2007) [#9]
Fillrate will kill your framerate at the best of times, and disabling mipmapping is a surefire way to achieve lots and lots of unnecessary fillrate.

I did not know this. . . I guess must do some reading up! thanks!

Mr Snidesmin(Posted 2007) [#10]
Is it okay to have a few small 256 size textures non-mipmapped? or would this still be bad for performance.

This would be most useful for signs with writing, or faces etc, which tend to look a bit crappy when mipmapped

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#11]
Well the fewer the better, for sure, but 256x256 might not be too bad. See the problem is when those signs/faces are in the distance, perhaps a little way into the distance or maybe really, really distant. If you have mipmapping disabled, the videocard will still be dealing with a 256x256 texture for an object which might only be five pixels in size on the screen. It's a terrible waste.

What you could try, and I'm just thinking this as I write so it might be completely stupid or impractical, but you might try having two versions, one mipmapped and one not, and replacing the mipmapped texture with the non-mipmapped texture only when the object itself is reasonably close to to the camera. That way, you're not wasting fillrate when the object is off in the distance and when it's close to the camera, 256x256 would likely be the mipmap the GPU would be using anyway.

I don't know, sounds like it might work.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#12]
AntiAlias actually works.
The problem is more that it is DX7 AA, not the FSAA of DX9 and current gen cards, so for most users (> GF4 MX => GF3 + and ATI 8500+) this has no impact at all.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#13]
AntiAlias actually works.
The problem is more that it is DX7 AA, not the FSAA of DX9 and current gen cards, so for most users (> GF4 MX => GF3 + and ATI 8500+) this has no impact at all.

I'm really getting bored of having to correct you. It doesn't work. It never worked on DX7 cards either. When I first bought B3D I had a GF2MX, a DirectX 7 card, and AntiAlias true never worked on that either. Nor did it for a lot of people.