compile vs exe

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/compile vs exe

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#1]
what does blitz do differently between when you push the compile and run button to the create exe button? I have a program that accesses a dll, and works fone when compiled and run. It acts really strange after you create the exe?

GfK(Posted 2007) [#2]
They're the same.

One gets compiled to a temporary folder, the other asks where you want to put the EXE.

"Acts really strange" would probably mean it can't find your media files that you need for your game (graphics, sound etc).

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#3]
Where is this temporary folder located? I can only seem to trace it back to blitzcc.exe

Here is the example:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/Mindstorms1/particles_prob.zip

bytecode77(Posted 2007) [#4]
i think the problem is as follows:
when you click on 'execute', your exe will be created, started and left in a temp dir.
when you click on 'create exe' the exe will be created in the work dir. you have to move all used dlls into that dir

b32(Posted 2007) [#5]
It is true, when you press "execute", blitzcc.exe is ran.
In the command prompt (cmd) use this:

cd\program files\blitz3d\bin
Set BlitzPath=C:\Program Files\Blitz3d
BlitzCC -h

It will print out the commandline options for blitzcc.
For instance "-d" will generate a debug version.
Other IDE's for blitz call blitzcc directly.

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#6]
Devils Child: no, the dll is with the userlibs and the folder where the exe is created...

b32: How does this help? I am unsure as to what your point is with the command line. I have tried compiling it in protean, blitz's default, and IDEal, with no success in any of them.

b32(Posted 2007) [#7]
When pressing 'run', the actual executable is blitzcc.exe.
So the program isn't compiled. Therefore, the directory is c:\program files\blitz3d\bin, as returned by SystemProperty$("appdir")

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#8]
What can I do to figure out what is different between the executable and the "compiled" versions- how can I find out what is going wrong?

b32(Posted 2007) [#9]
I tried running both versions from blitz. I copied the .decls and .dll from the \minib3d\ folder to my \userlibs\ folder.
When I ran the .bb's from blitz, they seemed to work okay.
Then I compiled them to .exe, and selected the same directory as the original .bb file. There was no difference between the .bb and the .exe
You said that the .exe is acting strange ? But it does run ? What does it do ?

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#10]
when you move around with the arrow keys, the exe does not make the triangles face the correct direction...the version with quaternions (alternate) demonstrates this alot better than the version with matrices (minib3d)...not sure why.

RGR(Posted 2007) [#11]

Last edited 2012

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#12]
I have already said a few posts up that the dll is in the same folder as the exe...

b32(Posted 2007) [#13]
I tried, but with both the .bb and the .exe versions, the particles are not allways facing the camera. The alternate version starts off with a black screen. When I turn, the particles become visible.

mindstorms(Posted 2007) [#14]
That is wierd...Here they all face the right way in bb mode, what you saw is what happens here only in exe mode.

I am wondering if anyone knows of issues regarding this code archive entry

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1639

I use it to allow the dll to access the vertex creation stuff...however since triangles are showing up, I am inclined to believe that this is not the cause of it.