Not understanding Etna

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Not understanding Etna

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#1]
Well, forgive me if I missed something but i'm working in my new online game, StealthRoom. I thought it would be a good way for me to learn online multiplaying. I tried a couple LAN approaches then gave up because I wanted it to work across the US. Then I found GNET+Etna and It seems like what I need, but I'm have a couple questions about it.
1) Do you have to know PHP and MYSQL to send data?
2) I want to use it for multiple servers and send the data of the x,y,z,health,weapon and whatnot across to the computers playing. Will this be too slow? Is this what Etna's used for and will it work woth Etna?
3) If this won't work, What would you recommend as a alternative?

i'm really pretty confused as I know no other langauges besides Blitz and simple C++. I read the Etna Docs over and over but can't get a grasp on it. Thanks.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#2]
Etna isn't really designed for games that need to send/store realtime data very rapidly. It is more for storing data that is updated often but doesn't expect the server to respond (near) instantly.

1) You do need to know PHP or similar (and possibly MYSQL).
2) It might be too slow (depends on your game).
3) BlitzPlay (lite) or similar:
http://www.blitzcoder.com/blitzplay/downloads.shtml

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#3]
BlitzPlay work across the US at least, right? Though, I kinda need servers because each level should have its own server. Well, the players will log into the level and wait for the level to begin, level battles start every 30 minutes and last for 25 min. Anyone left standing moves on to the next level. Now, I don't really expect to get very many players but I want to try. Sound good? Wil BlitzPlay allow me to do that?

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#4]
US? United states?

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#5]
Yeas United States of America, I don't know if I should seperate servers for countries (which is beyond my original thought) or just stick with the USA

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#6]
Will your servers be other players computers? or are you planning to buy server time?

It shouldn't really matter where the server is.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#7]
buy server time?

I don't think I get what you mean there? I was thinking some idle computers to use as servers.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2007) [#8]
Hi Fuller,

Etna is not designed to send real-time values during the game, like the position of the player, or the time when he shot. To do this with Blitz3D, your best bet is to use either BlitzPlayLite, k-lib, or even better, the wrapper of RakNet from Kurix.

But, anyway, Etna I think could still be useful to your game in a second stage. Etna is used to store centrally on a database values like score of the current games, skill of your players, duration of the game, ip address of your server, etc, etc. So this is for things evolving slowly during your game, and that can be stored in the database for ever if you like...

Hope it's clearer now!

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#9]
OK, I think that is exactly what I need. I'll search for the RakNet wrapper. Thanks for you guy's help.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2007) [#10]
Post for RakNet:
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=50546
This is a very complete solution, but not very simple to use...

Do not use BlitzPlay which is not any more supported (and you can't buy it anyway).

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#11]
BlitzPlay's not supported anymore? Shame, Are they ever going to update it to work eith B3d again?

Thanks for the Raknet Link.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2007) [#12]
BlitzPlay IS working, and is rock solid, easy to use. BUT its author disappeared mysteriously 1 year ago. So you could use BlitzPlayLite, with the important limitation that you don't have reliable UDP. BlitzPlayPro has reliable UDP, but you can't buy it anymore, so you just can't get it...
BlitzPlay is now a past story, but perfectly usable if you don't need reliable UDP...