PHYSIC jointloop?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/PHYSIC jointloop?

humanspacecraft(Posted 2006) [#1]
I donīt have been in physics yet. Is it possible to have for a example a ragdoll where the wrist is linked to forearm and to the hip? Then the ellbow would move when the back bends. A wrist that has two joints/constraints? Or maybe a closed ring of cylinders for example. Can this be done in ODE or an other system?

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#2]
yes, i have made something there
www.devil-engines.net

its an addon to blitzODE, where you can attach and un-attach bones and joints very easily...

(i began to make a physic engine based on newton, too. but the author destricted the right to giveaway)

humanspacecraft(Posted 2006) [#3]
I will try if can do this with it. More simple spoken,i mean a chain not only fixed at one point, but fixed at two points!

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#4]
Yes you can attach joints in any way you like. There's a RagDoll demo included in the demo version of JV-ODE which you can experiment with.

JV-ODE links are in sig below...

humanspacecraft(Posted 2006) [#5]
Iīve tried something quickly in one of devils examples an it works! Yippie!! Thanks Devil and VIP3R. I will also check out JV-ODE.

humanspacecraft(Posted 2006) [#6]
I have another question. It seems that only the simulation can move things. Can i do something, like a chain with itīs parent linked to a crane and the crane is some ordinary enitity that could be moved with translate/move or position ? Something similar could be lara crofts ponytail.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#7]
yes. in my ode engine, there are two kinds of attachment: simple and complex. simpe for chais, and complex for ragdolls.
see the samples :)

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#8]
@Devil: You've misunderstood the question.

You can but it will most likely upset the simulation if you move the position of objects manually like that. The correct way would be to add force to the object to move it, or depending on the set up, use a static joint like the heads in the JV-ODE RagDoll demo. When the crane moves, you can break the static joint, move its position and re-connect it to the chain.

I've seen other ODE simulations using a crane which is moved manually and it does work to an extent, but ODE should be left to control objects by itself or by adding forces.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#9]
a static joints is no problem:
attachphysicmesh(entity, 0) ;0 = space/static

VIP3R(Posted 2006) [#10]
No you still misunderstand, humanspacecraft is asking if it's possible/advisable to attach an ODE object to a non-ODE object that moves independently from the ODE simulation.

I appreciate you're trying to help, but neither of your replies above has addressed the actual question being asked in the last post by humanspacecraft.

humanspacecraft(Posted 2006) [#11]
Thanks for helping! Ive tried something in tokamak,there you habe the "animatedBodies". Ive modiefied a rope example and it was possible to move the anchorpoint by moving a linked "animated Bodie". I donīt know if this will lead to unpredictable results in a more complex simulation. In this particular case it worked fine.