Highlights w/ Vertex Lighting??

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Highlights w/ Vertex Lighting??

Danny(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible using vertex-lighting techniques to ''light'' an object so as to create highlights as you might get when using basic DX7 lights (eg. with a mesh's shininess set to 1.0) ?! I've not been able to color a vertex/object above it's default 100% diffuse (textured-)color... which makes sense I understand, but it there a 'trick' to create some additive effect to it (ie. without using lightmapping)...?!

Thanks,
Danny

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
Tried LightMesh()?

scribbla(Posted 2006) [#3]
yep vertex painting can get you some very good results
screen grabs form blitz, no lights just ambient set at 200 so the colours dont get washed out

i used lightwave but i think any program where you can bake the lighting to the mesh should work

NO vertex map & 1 tile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

with vertex map & 1 tile, 6k tris

Danny(Posted 2006) [#4]
Thanks Gfk / Scribbla,

But what I mean is if it's possible to create really heavy burned out WHITE HIGHTLIGHTS as you get when using very bright dx7 lights. FOr example a default red (255,0,0) sphere with a bright point light close next to it, will produce a 255,255,255 highlight on the red sphere. With vertex lights & textured objects, I've only been able to create diffuse (non specular) surfaces as scribbla demonstrates with his (very cool looking by the way!!!) images - everything still remains 100% diffuse!

p.s. I haven't tried lightmesh because I'm using a range of light-shapes already coded myself...

big10p(Posted 2006) [#5]
Think you'll have a job getting convincing specular highlights simply using vertex colours - especially on low poly meshes. Any reason you can't use EntityShininess?

Danny(Posted 2006) [#6]
Entityshininess only reacts to DX7 lights. A vertex's color does not affect it's shininess. That's me whole point... :/

Guess it's not possible... so I'll put it on me xmas list then..

d.

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#7]
memory who has not written the program but this is the version modified from me ;)

no remember

Danny(Posted 2006) [#8]
Here's a picture to illustrate my question.

As you'll see the bottom two spheres have bright highlights on them from the DX7 point-light AND setting entityShininess to 1.0.
But you'll also see that the top-right sphere (done using vertex lighting) won't produce a highlight.

So, could it possible somehow to create a highlight like that on a textured and vertex-lit object??

cheers,
Danny

Ross C(Posted 2006) [#9]
I think you'd need to work that out yourself...

There has a couple of examples posted using a combination of cubemapping and normalmapping, to produce specular lighting on a mesh. Honestly can't remember the link though... It's on these forums somewhere...

Danny(Posted 2006) [#10]
Thanks Ross,

I was hoping someone perhaps knew of a trick to do/fake this without additional textures...

cheers,
Danny