x file animation prob

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/x file animation prob

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#1]
This was posted on my spriteforge forum, and was wondering if anyone knew why b3d doesnt appear to work with latest x file animation... Ive tested the same code with darkmatter X files and its fine.

This is probably do to me.
Anyway, here is the tiny.x and its dds file that is associated with it.
Just open it in Direct X viewer to see what it should look like with animation and colors.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (February 2006)\Samples\Media\Tiny

That is where mine is stored locally, since you have DX installed, you should be able to find the Tiny.x files with the Tiny_skin.dds.

I have the same problem with all my X files as I do with Tiny, so I figured it would be a good place for you to look and help explain what I am doing wrong.

b32(Posted 2006) [#2]
It is because Blitz uses the DX7 .x format, and tiny.x is a newer format (DX9 i think). I think for using b3d, it is better to install the DX7 SDK.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#3]
aha

is it possible to access dx9 calls from b3d, has anyone made a dll?

b32(Posted 2006) [#4]
It is possible, but it is not very practical. Blitz is built around the DirectX7 device. If you want to change the device, you need to destroy the device and build a new one. Then you would need to make your own entity/texture system, or run both versions of DirectX and transfer the data realtime. I think you might be better using VB+DX9. Maybe you could convert the model to a .B3D instead? B3D supports more animation functions.