terrain normals

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/terrain normals

Kalisme(Posted 2006) [#1]
hi all... In the current shadow libry I'm working on, creating terrain receivers uses towl meshes.
It grabs the terrainheight() to figure out the placement of the vertex... how exactly can I get the normal of the point on the terrain? (to apply to vertexnx#, vertexny# & vertexnz#)
I need this to figure out which polygons not to create so the shadows don't appear where there is no light.
thankyou for reading :)

b32(Posted 2006) [#2]
You could try picking the terrain and then use the returned PickedNX/NY/NZ ?

Kalisme(Posted 2006) [#3]
I would do that, but I'm avoiding using "pick" commands, because I think they could get in the way for people who want to use shaKAL, but also want to use pick commands for other things... I used to use them for lame bots looking for wall collisions

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#4]
There 3 ways to get the normal

1. Use Pick (the easiest and most likely fastest if you pick with a dy of 0.1. get terrainY and pick from terrainy - 0.05 with dy = 0.1 :) )

2. Use collisions

3. Interpolate them through 3 terrain high values doing the normal calculation yourself. (N = (e1 x e2)/|e1 x e2| where e1 = vector from point 1 to 2 and e2 = vector from point 1 to 3)

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#5]
I think option 3 would be the quickest ... you need 3 points to calculate the normal using cross product ...

ax# = x1 - x0
ay# = y1 - y0	
az# = z1 - z0	
bx# = x2 - x1
by# = y2 - y1
bz# = z2 - z1	
Nx# = ( ay * bz ) - ( az * by )
Ny# = ( az * bx ) - ( ax * bz )
Nz# = ( ax * by ) - ( ay * bx )
;only use this part if normals need to be normalised / faster without
Ns# = Sqr( Nx * Nx + Ny*Ny + Nz*Nz )
Nx = Nx / Ns