blitz terrain texture tiling question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/blitz terrain texture tiling question

Kalisme(Posted 2006) [#1]
is it possible? and if so... how?
I'm talking about applying tiled textures to a internal blitz command loadterrain() blitz terrain.
I decided I want to update my shadow library to have towl meshes for terrains... (but have the same projection method I use)... So I started creating a terrain editor... but then my process became halted when I noticed I don't have a clue about tiling a terrain with textures...
If someone can help, that would be great!
also, is there a function that anyone has created for saving a terrain as a *.bmp heightmap?
Both these things would really help.
(Oh, and I know I don't need these things for terrain shadows... but after playing days of Morrowwind, I decided I want to start trying to use the blitz terrain commands in games... face it, it has a great LOD system!)

markcw(Posted 2006) [#2]
to control texture tiling use scaletexture ie.

;Load terrain
terrain=LoadTerrain("terrain1.bmp")
TerrainDetail terrain,4000,True
ScaleEntity terrain,1,10,1
grasstex=LoadTexture("terrain1grass.jpg")
ScaleTexture grasstex,32,32
EntityTexture terrain,grasstex,0,1

iamdaman13(Posted 2006) [#3]
I think he means painting different textures on different parts of the terrain and saving the output.

b32(Posted 2006) [#4]
I have tried that, but I couldn't get it to work. The only way I succeeded was placing a few terrains on top of each other, each with (1) a tilemap (2) a alphamap. I stretched the alphamap out over the entire terrain, so it has a low resolution and I kept the tilemap small, to give detail.
Later on, I've made a single terrain with (1) a colormap and (2) a detail map, in greyscale. The idea was to suggest a tiled terrain using different colors.
Maybe you can combine both methods, but instead of using a 2nd terrain, use a few mesh terrains here and there that fit exactly on the blitz terrain. On these smaller mesh terrains you can apply alpha, so they blend into the 'background' terrain.

Kalisme(Posted 2006) [#5]
iamdaman13: Yuppers, that's exactly what I meant.

B32: that's what I'm doing now... a colormap and a detailmap. I guess it gets the job done

I think I'll stick to this for now

b32(Posted 2006) [#6]
Well, I think that is the best way. However, you could easily make a mesh that fits on a terrain using TerrainY(). First, design the add-on for the terrain in a 3d editor as a flat shape. Then, in blitz, loop through all the vertices and place them on the terrain.
Here is the code from my attempt, it loads the same terrain three times.