Shadow System 1.4 test

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Shadow System 1.4 test

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#1]
hi!

in order to optimize the shadow system, i did some critical code changes.

@every user of the devil-shadow-sys: please test your games with the new 1.4 version (below) of the shadow system and tell me, wheter there are any bugs. and if there are bugs, please tell me where.

thank you :)

http://xware.chat-blitz.de/scripts/upload2/DSS_Test_1.4.zip

b32(Posted 2006) [#2]
The first example (few casters) and the last one (LOD) worked allright. I get around 25 fps. The other examples gave distorted shadows: The shadows broke down in triangles somehow. The island demo works, but I'm not sure if it does what it should do. The water is textured with a green and red texture. But that was the same in the earlier version, too, so I figured my hardware isn't compatible.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#3]
well. i didnt changed ENBM. i just changes shadow volume handling.

I just wanted dss users to test this, because i wanted to see, wheter it works like the 1.2 version does :)

any other user of this sys tested it yet?

edit: can you please give me a screenshot?

b32(Posted 2006) [#4]
You are right, it was my graphic card that messed up. Sorry. After rebooting my pc the system worked very nice. (again) I got 40 fps now on the swifty, fountain and few casters runs at 44 fps.
Here is a screenshot from the island demo:

I have a laptop with a NVidia GForce FX Go.

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#5]
oh. the island demo doesnt look like what it is supposed to. but i would be very interrested to see, wheter it works in your games! so people who made a game based on the dss, please test it :)

i just want to optimize it, therefore you have a fast one!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#6]
Can't test it right now, just downloaded. Thanks for your work!

cyberyoyo(Posted 2006) [#7]
1.4 worked ok for me, I didn't notice any difference with 1.2.
Thanks for your works, devil child. These are some really nice libraries. They are dragging B3D up, all that's missing now is parallax bump mapping lol ;)
But seriously, while I was watching the fountain demo I was watching the quality of shadows and noticed the relative crappiness of vertex lights (especially the light spot on the ceiling). And that gave me an idea. Would it not be possible to process the light exactly like the shadows? i.e stencil lights!
That would probably be slow, but would it be unusable? these could be some really terrific lights ...

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#8]
well thanks.

these are stencil lights. i think you mean raytracing lights, and this is not that easy :)

anyway. i need people to test this shadow system who actually are using it for their games!
because i just wanted to keep this bug free

cya

puki(Posted 2006) [#9]
Oooh, it will be interesting to see how well my new system will breeze it's way through this.

Everything seems fine for me.

Very exciting stuff.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#10]
i cant use your system, cause i use b3d anims ;(

Mike0101(Posted 2006) [#11]
I can't use too, with same reason

L_Draven(Posted 2006) [#12]
I can't use too, same reason that T3K|Mac and Mike0101

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#13]
i'm sorry i couldn fix the b3d issue.
i saw a screenshot by tom and he was using b3d animations i think. when tom could release his code, i could look what he was doing so different from what i was doing. then i could fix it...

tom, here?

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#14]
a few guys tested this shadow system and reported back. it was even more buggy, so i decided to give up 1.4 and step back to 1.3!

please dont use 1.4!!

thanks all for testing :)

puki(Posted 2006) [#15]
Who is the 'Russian guy' you mention? Is it "ANDREYman" and (or might be the same person) "Gayanov Igor"?

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#16]
andreyman made another shadow system faster than mine. but also buggier -.-

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#17]
what is bugs in andreymans library you keep mention about?? I have it and its brilliant and damn fast...I would like to hear clear about bugs you talking about...

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#18]
test the swifty demo using his library and you'll see.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#19]
just did it..only limit library has is 10K polys per caster, and it was clearly mentioned in documentation, and splitting mesh in to smaller chunks shouldnt be big problem in order to make lib working properly..

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#20]
of course you can raiser the poly limit!