3D tetris using collisions

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/3D tetris using collisions

Nmuta(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello all

I am creating a 3d tetris of sorts. However, in this game, you can drop pieces in from various angles, not just from the top.

I have decided to drop pieces in and use collisions to stop them when they hit pieces already in the puzzle.

However, there is no polygon to polygon collision in Blitz. How can I solve this problem? Ellipse to box or ellipse to polygon does not seem like it would work.

I've toyed with the idea of using multidimensional arrays, but I'm not sure if I should invest that kind of time if I can get it to work using collisions.

Mustang(Posted 2006) [#2]
JV-ODE: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63898

Nmuta(Posted 2006) [#3]
wow. thanks.

b32(Posted 2006) [#4]
There is also MeshesIntersect() Not sure how (well) it works.

Nmuta(Posted 2006) [#5]
MeshesIntersect()

....after all these years in Blitz3D I'm wondering how I missed that command. Even if it's slow I can still use if for what I'm doing, since I'm only checking for one set of collisions at a time with very low poly meshes.

sonokong(Posted 2006) [#6]
Gool luck with that game, Nmuta!

Nmuta(Posted 2006) [#7]
Btw, I've tried the MeshesIntersect() function and it is VERY precise. And not slow at all.

I HAVE 20,000 POLYS on screen with two very high poly tetris pieces (for a test) and it's working very smoothly with a great framerate. And I only have 64 MB VRAM and a 2 GIG processor with 1 Gig ram on this machine.

iamdaman13(Posted 2006) [#8]
I wouldn't use physics based collision for a tetris game, even in 3d. I'm making a game similar to Tetrisphere 64. Since all movement occurs in consistant distances, I used a collision matix for each block type. I'm not sure how to explain exactly what I mean, but I can put up some pictures of it if you like.

Nmuta(Posted 2006) [#9]
iamdaman

yes, I would like that, thanks.