B3D and Vista - what's the official word?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/B3D and Vista - what's the official word?

bye(Posted 2006) [#1]
Not sure if this has been asked before (if not, why?) but here goes..

Will Blitz3D be updated to support Vista, or are the reported problems purely down to graphics drivers needing to catch up with Vista?

What's the official BRL word on this? It'll be a tragedy if Blitz3D dies because of problems with vista.

So BRL, please put our minds at rest before we go insane. Blitz3D is a superb product, and I know it's not being updated as such (DX9 support etc..) but ignoring any problems with vista would be mental.

Dreamora(Posted 2006) [#2]
There is no problem running B3D on Vista.
Even less than on XP where DX7 support gets worse and worse, because DX7-9 are "translated" into DX10 calls which have driver support.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#3]
your graphicscard must be supported by vista/vista-drivers. then there will be no problem. if not, you can only use the 2d mode of b3d. but hey, who wants vista anyway ;)

Barton(Posted 2006) [#4]
I get mail from Vista Beta testers and my Game do not work with Vista. Error: Memory Access V...

the error message comes after starting the exe file. (after opening the B3d pre-window for initialize of graphic)

all other non b3d-games start without problems.

I hope that an update comes for Vista.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#5]
Well, Barton, Our B3D racer (which pushes B3D to its visual and technical limits) works fine in Vista BUT as said above, you need to have a supported 3D card with drivers.

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#6]
"who wants vista anyway ;)"

LOL i remember people saying that about dos/3.1 to 95, 95 to 2000, then 2000 to XP. Now its XP 2 Vista.

Unfortunately we cant fight the winds of change, especially when farted out by a huge multinat corp. :)
(Thats my neo-anticapitalist rant for the day, im off to MCDonnalds to get a sossy-egg-muffin. :P)

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#7]
oh yes we can. you are not forced to use it. there are several alternatives on the market. and good ones too. personally, these alternatives are getting more and more attractive to me. FIGHT GOLIATH! ;-)

D4NM4N(Posted 2006) [#8]
I meant about fighting the windows winds of change :O) and you cant if you want to use b3d

use ubuntu myself, for everything except, giles, b3d and a few other 3d nicknacks.

Im just waiting MS to bring out WINUX or some catastrophe.

sonokong(Posted 2006) [#9]
"who wants vista anyway"
Yes, who does?

sonokong(Posted 2007) [#10]
What if you don't have a graphics card? Will B3D still work?

marksibly(Posted 2007) [#11]
Hi,

The official word is we will make any changes necessary to get Blitz products running on Vista.

So far, Vista appears to run Blitz stuff fine. You may need to be administrator to run the IDE, but not to run executables produced by Blitz.

puki(Posted 2007) [#12]
I briefly tested Blitz3D with an 8800GTX DX10 card and it seemed fine - I didn't test it with Vista though.

Vertigo(Posted 2007) [#13]
I have been developing my game on vista ultimate. No issues with blitz3d... but vista can &#^*&^#%#% my (*$(*&$% haha. There are all sorts of stability issues on my machine, but I have no problems with blitz at runtime.

Warren(Posted 2007) [#14]
who wants vista anyway ;)

Your customers?

sonokong(Posted 2007) [#15]