Object Follow Path

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Object Follow Path

jimmyx(Posted 2006) [#1]
What would be the best way to code an object (white box in picture ) to follow a path.

The path has curves and straight lines.

please take a look at the picture

thankyou

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#2]
A simple waypoint system will do this. Place waypoints at each each point on the line where the direction changes. Use more to define the curve.

For the white cube, hold a current and target waypoint. Get the direction of movement from the current waypoint to the target and move the square in this direction. Once within a certain distance of the target waypoint, snap to that point and change the current to the target and increment the target etc.. etc..

There's obviously a wee bit more work to it but I don't have time to knock up any code I'm afraid.

Stevie

BlackJumper(Posted 2006) [#3]
have a look at 'splines' or 'bezier curves' if you want super-smoothe movement on curved sections

jimmyx(Posted 2006) [#4]
splines or bezier curves seem to much maths and calculations for me.

something simple please.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#5]
it's pretty simple.
store X minus nextwaypointX and Z minus nextwaypointZ. Then
move your mesh one step towards the next waypoint (you may use a dummy pivot to use PointEntity). Now get X minus nextwaypointX and Z minus nextwaypointZ again. if the old and the new values are not both positive or both negative (on X or on Z), then the mesh has passed the waypoint, you may then increase the next-waypoint counter.
Of course this also works not only with XZ, but also with XYZ dimensions.