Maplet-style CSG Functions

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Maplet-style CSG Functions

KimoTech(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi everybody! I am through with a map editor, but i need some CSG functions.. I tried starfoxs CSG Functions from the archives, but they had some bugs, like when you carve a cube inside another cube (fx. making stairs), there is some triangles which is being deleted. And another problem is, when you carve a lot of times, the polycount and the surface count increases fast! Any other ideas?

To Mark Sibly: Now when Maplet is freeware, is there any possibility, to get it open-source? Maplet features many nice functions, that our programmers could learn of. :)

simonh(Posted 2006) [#2]
Maplet uses BSP trees I believe to perform it's CSG operations but be warned - BSPs aren't exactly beginner friendly (says someone currently wrestling with BSPs).

KimoTech(Posted 2006) [#3]
What is exacly BSP tree's?

simonh(Posted 2006) [#4]
See this FAQ.

trb(Posted 2006) [#5]
Someone asked for the maplet source about a month ago. Here's the thread with Mark's reply.

" *#$*&! I lost the *#$&%ing source!"

Doesn't look too good for an open source release. :P

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#6]
Oooh, so that's why Maplet is free now :o

Josh posted some really nice CSG stuff in the code archives, I think.
Hunt around for it... can't be that hard to find :)
I have a copy over here, so it's definitely... somewhere.

Edit:
Okay, maybe it wasn't Josh... here is a really nice one which I just remembered: http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=560
Hm... it seems I even posted there!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#7]
Maplets been free for yonks.

Mark was just a plonker last month and lost his source! :P

(tu) sinu(Posted 2006) [#8]
lets hope he doesn't lose the b3d or bmax source!!

KimoTech(Posted 2006) [#9]
Okay, maybe it wasn't Josh... here is a really nice one which I just remembered: www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=560
Hm... it seems I even posted there!

Like i said: I tried starfoxs CSG Functions from the archives, but they had some bugs, like when you carve a cube inside another cube (fx. making stairs), there is some triangles which is being deleted. And another problem is, when you carve a lot of times, the polycount and the surface count increases fast! Any other ideas?

Picklesworth(Posted 2006) [#10]
Ah, of course!

Okay, that wasn't very helpful :/

I checked my local hoard of code and found that there is another one with an example which splits a sphere in half very very quickly...
I recall playing with it a bit to get some neat stuff happening.

Does anyone want to claim it?
(This one may be the example by Josh that I was talking about...)

Also, I remembered this recent post:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=63699

This (Also thanks to Josh) is like the hyperspace effect in Homeworld, which is sort of a CSG thing (though just splitting along a plane, so it is only half as difficult):
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=24571

I remember another more colourful example here that does the same thing... Again, I can't find it though :(

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#11]
Mark commented in a different thread that the maplet source mysteriously vanished. :( I had hit him up to release it a couple months ago.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#12]
Not sure if it was mentioned: there are also some CSG functions by Markus Rauch, in the archives too.

Although I agree, none of them is as fast as Maplet was.