Swift's vs Devil's Shadow Sys

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Swift's vs Devil's Shadow Sys

xmlspy(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have been messing around with Swift's shadow sys and it seems that there is no way I can make this system work fast enough with a mesh terrain. I have tried it for indoor close levels and that works fine (since the geometry and poly count is a lot less).

I have a light system in there and I like to update it NOT every frame, so I do every 30 frames or so and speed increases drastically. I try doing the same with Swift's Shadow sys and it ends up making a lag every update(not cool).

Could Devil's system be managed in a way so it will not lag me as bad. Is Devil's system "better", and if so what are the differences? I love Swift's because it's so easy to add. Maybe I'll just end up having a lightmapped level and then use a shadow system only for animated characters, and no nice shadows on outdoor levels.

You must hate DX7, the graphics seem to degrade when I get further from a model. Someone please come with an easy to add DX9 engine.

Note: image using static shadows at 512 res.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#2]
..andreymans shadow system rocks..its very fast and I really dont know why Andreyman not doing some more serious advertising for it (if any exist already)..

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#3]
first of all: andreymas shadow system is fast, but very buggy and it doesnt support b3d animations(so am i)

swifts shadow sys supports b3d animations, but no self shadowing. my shadow system is fast for many lowpoly casters. sswifts one is optimized for a hand full of high poly casters.
switfs one is smooth, my one supports pointlight sources.

for some uses my one is better, for other issues his one is better.
think about it :)
cya

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#4]
Hi devil,

whats changed viewport in the ours system?

please test multi viewport and sendme the solution I ave a idea for very fast shadow ;)

bye

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#5]
download the 1.2 update from my homepage and optimize it how you think. but dont implement static lights. its quite buggy!

btw: make a link to my hp into your signature and onto your homepage as i did :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2006) [#6]
..far as I know, Andreymans shadow system working fine and I would like to know whats 'buggy' in there since I didnt had any issue with it by now, while working fine over mesh terrain as well as over blitz terrain , MD2 animated meshes with selfshadowing, and smoothshadowing too..on about 72K polys its steady and not going under 60 FPS on my 5600FX...regarding B3D,I didnt try, but within library is function for loading animated B3D meshes..I'll give it a try and let you guys know..

sswift(Posted 2006) [#7]
Why are you updating at all if they're static shadows?

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#8]
i tested auto disabling and enabling the shadow casters, but i got so many glitched that i deleted this feature.

1. the shadow casters were flickering
2. there were flickering strips
3. i tried to use zpass when the camera is outside the shadow volume(also lots of glitches)
4. several other little bugs.

this was reason enough for me to delete the feature of static lightning!

xmlspy(Posted 2006) [#9]
Swift,
I'm not updating static shadows. I am only updating the ones created with Cast_Shadow. I replaced the Cast_Shadow ones with the static ones to improve a little bit the speed. I do the update routine on dynamic shaodws so it's not every frame, but it has a delay that pisses me off every time, and that's why I'm going to search for alternatives.

There's two devils? who's the real inventor!?

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#10]
I have create the engine for generate silhouette fast and managment multy light and optimization for this :D

bye

bytecode77(Posted 2006) [#11]
oh dare devil.
please post in the stencil shadow thread and not here!#
this is not the right toppic...

DareDevil(Posted 2006) [#12]
I have answered xmlspy

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#13]
BTW:
"...the graphics seem to degrade when I get further from a model..."

I think this isn't DX7's fault, but your MipMapping settings. Go to your GFX cards settings panel and set mipmapping to hi quality. It will be slower, but less blur when you get further from the meshes.