Call For Authors

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Call For Authors

Morbius(Posted 2006) [#1]
Moderator, please move if inappropriate. Thanks.

Anyone remember David Ahl?

This is an appeal for interest in a Blitz3D programming “Gurus” anthology. The Blitz3D community is fantastic, and I know many of the Blitz3D programming gurus out there have day jobs that don’t permit giving a lot of free time to explain in-depth programming topics to the uninitiated.

While many of us may have passing thoughts about sitting down and writing that awesome guide to Blitz3D, we may quickly find the task to be simply too much for one person to accomplish in a short period of time. So here’s a chance to divide up the work.

My publishing company (okay me in my basement), Blitzforge, will offer $150 to $350 per article. That’s slightly less that you’d get for writing a story for one of the pulp Sci-Fi magazines.

Your article should cover an intermediate or advanced topic, but present it in a tutorial style. You must be prepared to hold the reader’s hand, wipe his brow, and walk and him through the tough spots. Any theory must be accompanied by a practical source code example or examples.

You must be willing to offer your source code for open, non-restricted use, and provide unrestricted media for your samples. Naturally you must grant Blitzforge the exclusive right to publish your work in anthology form. The period of exclusivity shall be eighteen calendar months from the date of final acceptance of your completed article.

If interested, please email me a one-page sample of your writing and let me know what subject or subjects you’d like to cover. Engagements will be by letter of agreement and payment will be made upon acceptance of the completed article or articles.

I hope we will get some of the big guys to participate. There are some true “gurus” out there. You know who you are!

Also, if you have an interest in being a technical editor, please email me.

I will probably offer some cheap advertising space in order to get this printed. I’ll announce some details as publication gets nearer.

I need to get the first anthology done by June 1st, 2007.

Here is a list of articles I’m currently interested in. Other suggestions are welcome.

Shadows
Normal Mapping
Cube & Sphere Mapping Tricks (Water, Etc)
LOD
Skies, Stars, Day-to-Night, Atmospheric Scattering
Perlin Noise, Procedural Textures
Thorough Tutorial on Meshes, Textures, Surfaces, Brushes
Lighting Tricks, Flashlights, Torches
Culling & Occlusion
Particle Effects
Billboarding, Muzzle Flash, Plasma Gun, Etc.
Level Building, Loading, and Management
Events and Triggers
HUD, GUI
Quaternions
AI, AI, AI
Physics, Physics, Physics
Anything Cool You’d Like To Discuss

P.S. I sincerely hope this doesn’t stir up a bunch of controversy. I’m just a working guy who loves to program in Blitz languages and I’d like to see us have a magazine. I am not planning on buying a mansion in Beverly Hills with this magazine. I too have a day job. I have organized public events like LAN-parties and such, and I typically end-up spending more of my own money than I ever take in. I do it for the fun and the community. And quite frankly, if the magazine is an unlikely success, then future authors will be able to earn more for their work.

Thanks and I hope to hear from you!

Mike

Andy(Posted 2006) [#2]
>Anyone remember David Ahl?

Ahhhh, I see what you mean. I just dusted off my danish copy of BASIC Computergames by David H. Ahl(original 1978). That was actually a great way to present a programming book.

Great initiative... Here's some links!

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=Ahl%2C%20David%20H.

http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Ahl/DHA.htm

Andy

josk(Posted 2006) [#3]
While not being able to contribute anything as I would class myself as a beginner I think this is a good idea.

Things like this will hopefully bring more people into the Blitz community.

dynaman(Posted 2006) [#4]
That book cover brought back fond memories. I remember keying in a bunch of programs from books like that one.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#5]
I was in mail contact with "Morbius", it seemed he was interested in an article by me, but all of a sudden I don't get any answer anymore from him. Did I miss something? Is he still around?

Morbius(Posted 2006) [#6]
I'm around. I was away for a week and I've fallen way behind on my email. I promise to catch up this weekend. Dreadfully sorry.

Thank you!

Mike

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#7]
np, thanks.