Has anyone used this?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Has anyone used this?

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#1]
http://www.blitzmax.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=85

Is this IDE any good or do you use Visual Blitz or the B3D IDE?

Thanks

kevin8084(Posted 2006) [#2]
I used it in it's earlier form for 3drad and it wasn't too bad. Right now I use the B3D IDE.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#3]
I use the B3d IDE because it's the only IDE that capitalizes names like Flip,Cls,Wend,Endif,etc.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#4]
...it's the only IDE that capitalizes names like Flip,Cls,Wend,Endif,etc.

Um, no... Visual Blitz does this, and whilst I'm not a Protean user, I'm fairly certain it does too. So there's two, at least.

Is this IDE any good?

Much to my surprise (given how much of a forum whore I am), I've never heard of it before. Looks nice, so I'm downloading the demo as I speak. I'm still a fan of Visual Blitz (unsupported as it is), but I'm always open to other possibilities if they have something to offer.

RetroRusty(Posted 2006) [#5]
@LingOf7s

Have you had a look at this? Does it have the same in it that Visual Blitz has?

Thanks

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#6]
From memory it was good, but I think I stopped using it due to the strange way the text input worked. I will have to see if it improved.

It wasn't faulty, just worked differently to B3Ds IDE and other text editing SW.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#7]
Enigma:

Finally got around to playing with this, and... well.. it didn't go smoothly.

Install.

Get nag screen. No problem there. Click on 'run unregistered' or whatever.

Screen opens. First thing that catches my eye? Garbled and messed-up toolbars. What the? Restart - same thing. Minimise and maximise. Same thing. Alrighty.

Load Blitz file. F5 to run. No response. Check menu. F5 = Test Run. F5 again - nothing. Select 'Test Run (F5)' from menu. Tells me it can't find Blitz3D and I should check my configuration. Fair enough - I'd forgotten I hadn't told it that yet.

Head into configuration and set up where the Blitz3D directory is (based on the example in there, which didn't point to the 'bin' dir or anything, just the Blitz one). Hit F5. Nothing. Open menu item again. "Can't find Blitz3D etc etc". Change configuration to point to Blitz3D 'bin' dir. Repeat previous. No response.

"Enough of that" says I. Head to uninstall. Not supplied with an uninstaller. Ugh. Add/Remove programs it is then.

And that was my 10 minutes with Brain Editor Professional Demo.

Fuller(Posted 2006) [#8]
I typed in "graphics"in protean an dit didn't even turn blue.

Beaker(Posted 2006) [#9]
I suspect you hadn't taken the 20 seconds it takes to set things up.

There is only one IDE I can think of that doesn't auto-capitalize and that is Context.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2006) [#10]
Since you are talking about IDE's - what yourl you reccommend for Blitz3D, without the .NET stuff installed?

I mean, I'm not talking about fancy looking gui with average functionality. What I'm looking for are things like AutoIntend, Highlight corresponding Endif/Wend/Until etc. of constructs, goto function that is named as the selected text, jump back, multiple synched windows of one source, autorem blocks and more.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2006) [#11]

And that was my 10 minutes with Brain Editor Professional Demo.

Thats enough Brain editing for anyone!